*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone else play Far Cry 5 on ultra settings? What temps do you guys? Since setting my GPU temp limit to 78c, the throttling is really good in terms of the clock never dropping below 1700mhz (or there abouts), but due to its sustained 77c temp, I've noticed my CPU experiences spikes in the high 90' causing CPU thermal throttling. These spikes are for a second or two and the average temps over a 2 hour session last night were 75-77c on the CPU. Is this normal or should I not be hitting high 90's at all even if only for 1-2 seconds?

This is with a Nanogrease repaste and un-modded Notepal U3 laptop cooler.

pathfindercod likes this.
  2. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    CPU clock? Package power? Undervolt?
    GPU curve volt/freq? Power?
    Max fan?
    Environmental temperature?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Fire Tiger, pathfindercod and Lopt like this.
  3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ill see if I can dow load and test.

Game hint: u can get on the top greenhouse roof of the main compound. You can not land on it though. That would be too easy....

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Yeah good point missed out the main points....

9700k all cores x50, -105mV
    GPU is standard 2080
    Max fans

Environmental temp, I have no idea but would say around 20c max.

5. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    launches cinebench with max fan, what temperatures and how many watts?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    I'm not at the laptop just now, but can share tomorrow, do you have the same config as me to help me compare?

Spartan likes this.
  7. Helifax

Helifax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

This is my first post here, although I've been a lurker for many many years now.
    (I actually have 3x Alienware Laptops: the 2011 M15x, the 2013/2014 M17x (with 3D Visison Display) and now the Area 51m.)

I had my A51m arrive on the 15th Jan (10 days ago). It was a gift.(Intel i9 9900k and RTX 2080)
    And I am already very familiar with the issue of past Alienware laptops, I wanted to see what the deal is now with the Area51m.

I've done lots of testing especially after reading about the Bios 1.5.0 and the onward problems as well as the vbios 200w vs 190w vs 180w.

I would like to share my results between Bios 1.5.0 and 1.8.1 as well as vbios 1.0.0.5 (180W) and 1.0.0.3 (200W).
    I used 3D Mark Timespy to show this:
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/10322848/spy/10321053/spy/10278896#

For me Gsync is mandatory and I was really surprised when I scored a lot better in TimeSpy with the latest bios (with Gsync support) and the 200W 1.0.0.3 vbios.
    I know the parameters between all the tests vary a bit and I apologize. These are the best scores that I was able to obtain on my A51m with each bios and overclocks.
    One thing to note, is that I haven't seen any decrease in performance, on the contrary.

However, the Alienware Command Center Overclock profiles are broken (as is the non-oc/default profile). It will let the card hit the new "79 Celsius" threshold and perform a "hard" throttle on your GPU.
    I was able to fully mitigate this, by making a GPU only profile with a 77 Celsius limit in Alienware Command Center. (The software still is buggy after almost 10 years of me using different iterations of it).

I don't believe this is revolutionary or anything but I hope my tests could prove useful for other people:)

Cheers,
    Helifax

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  8. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Dang it now your going to make me try 1.8.1 with 200w VBIOS lol.... I must resist …… I can't resist ..

9. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    @Helifax thanks for the post! Have you tried setting the GPU thermal linit to 78c, it tends to go a little further than the 77c limit, but 78c is our absolute limit before the aggressive throttling.

Spartan and Nicolas Paiva like this.
  10. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So from a noob just move the pointer to 78c on AWC GPU OVERCLOCK