*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried it on 1.5.0 the other day through XTU just messing around and it of course failed, if no one else does it first and we don't get any new info soon I may flash to 1.8.1 and give it a try … I am just not looking forward to having to undervolt the GPU to 900v and 1875mhz just to avoid the throttle.
    I have mine setup and working pretty good right now on 1.5.0 and +100 on the GPU hitting 1995mhz and staying around 76c on the GPU in games like Control with full RTX enabled and on High / I am on the 180w VBIOS.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the likes of CPU-Z is showing it as 2400mhz, then I doubt anything has changed. An upgrade/change of this significance would be somewhere obvious (BIOS/AWCC) and for me its something they'd have been raving about, the fact that they had enabled the XMP ability up to 2933/3200mhz depending which source you refer to. Here's hoping.

3. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a workaround to increase the thermal limit, isn't there? I thought there were people using an ASUS utility to increase the temperature limit on the GPU. At the very least, AWCC still allows you to increase the throttle limit to 87 degrees (Or is this not working as intended?)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    It sort of works, you can raise the limit in either application mentioned, however, the minute the GPU temp reaches 79c (regardless of the temp you set) you get an aggressive throttle down to around 30 FPS, with 300-700mhz clock speeds and until the GPU temp hits 50c. Then it slowly builds back up again and the cycle continues. Whereas on BIOS 1.5.0, you have the NVidia 87c limit and your GPU has more thermal headroom and doesn't aggressively throttle at 79c. Hope that makes sense.

c69k and Lopt like this.
  5. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which is why I am leaning towards an attitude of "so what ? " if new BIOS 1.8.1 allows faster Ram speeds, thermal throttle will negate any benefits.

FXi and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. gr33n2

Reputations:
    Your explanation at least makes sense, but Dell's logic behind it is a different story....
    I'm trying it out for myself, but I can't get my GPU up to 79 (hit 77 before I ran into "power throttling", unless they're using that as opposed to thermal throttling?). Trying to install something a little more graphically intensive to see if I can't run into it myself.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. gr33n2

Reputations:
    What kind of clocks are you running? Are you overclocking using the voltage curve, or just adding a static value? I've been using MSI Afterburner with a mild overclock and undervolt. Get's me beyond stock boost clocks while reducing temperatures compared to stock boost clocks.

8. Nicolas Paiva

Nicolas Paiva Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone (with 2666MHz RAM or more) test the BIOS 1.8.1 and check the XMP support, please? (BIOS,XTU,AWCC,etc)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Yip, definitely a catch-22 situation. @MogRules is working with Dell on the thermal throttling to see if anything can be done. That coupled with the likes of the latest smackdown review by @B0B on YT that shows the thermal throttling to a wide audience will hopefully get them moving on that front.... I'm not overly optimistic though.

I'll likely move to 1.5.0 once I get a decent monitor that has G-Sync, that way the loss of G-Sync on the laptop panel won't be a massive loss. Don't get me wrong despite my moans and gripes I still love the laptop and although I experience the throttling, I'm not a major FPS geek and it barely bothers me when it drops. It would just be good to have it as it was designed and advertised etc.

If you are on the 180w vBIOS its quite easy to hit the power limit/throttling. A more graphically intensive game should have you hitting 79c no problem, or even leave the fans on balanced and load up the same game, I'd imagine that will give you the additional 2c needed to witness the GPU thermal limit and aggressive throttling.

If you read the last few pages you'll see @gr33n2 has just done this with no success.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
    c69k likes this.
  10. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried both and found that for me with my limited experience ( 2 laptops about 2 years messing with Afterburner ) that I got better more stable results on Area51m just OC the card +100 to +130, when I tried recreating that as a curve my performance dropped and temps went up. I found it frustrating trying to get the GPU to utilize but not exceed the 180W limit using a Curve, for what ever reason the utilization and temps are better managed with just a straight OC than with a curve.

With my current setup +100 in AB it peaks at 1995 and will sit there in benchmarks such as Superposition on extreme with acceptable temps it will hit 81c but comes back down and generally sits around 76c or so.

In other benchmarks like Valley or Heaven they don't seem to stress it as much so while it will hit 1995 it will be in the 1885 range most of the time.

In games I see similar 1885 - 1995 and of course below as some scenes are pushing less pixels I suppose.

I admit it could simply be my inexperience with fine tuning Afterburner.

Fire Tiger likes this.