*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Funny - I did ask what BIOS mattered and they said it wasn't dependent .... :shrug

Unless I am mistaken you click on the "4" or the "2" and then change that specific color with the palette on the left?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a way, the ON color can be changed as well as the charging color (amber from factory)... click around in there and you’ll find it... I can look in a bit once I’m at my system.

3. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly I wouldn't even mind limiting my GPU to 74C with the "new" BIOS revisions. Problem is, AWCC doesn't even go that low. Before I rolled back to 1.5.0 I was getting the 500MHz throttling problem on my 2080 even with the temp limit set to 75C.

DreDre likes this.
  4. Frr

Frr Newbie

Reputations:

that might be true from what i see in this video thats the latest bios from December 3

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are definitely a few on here that upgraded to 1.8.1 I think it was, but no one saw the speed increase/XMP support for memory.

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Just curious - was this just in casual gaming, or gaming with a graphically intensive game, or bench-marking it was kicking in? I was under the impressions folks were tuning with undervolting, re-pastes, etc. to get the temps down enough to avoid the throttle in some cases.... maybe they are all just rolling back to 1.5.0?

I just checked - mine shows 2333 - but the actual speed according to HWInfo is 1196.8, though the main screen in HWInfo lists the memory as 1333.3 DDR4-2666. I am on the 1.8.1 Bios currently.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2020
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Lopt

Lopt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure that if there were some magical configuration with BIOS 1.8.1 that raised RAM timings and allowed faster RAM speeds, Bob would have found it during his testing for the smack down video.

I doubt that going from 2444 to 2666 is going to in any way alleviate the hard throttle we have all seen with 1.8.1

I’m unfortunately becoming all to familiar now with Dell’s methods of operation.

I suspect FUD and or new / different hardware in those higher RAM speed configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe the memory speed has been increased?

Yeah 2400mhz to 2666mhz might not make much difference but surely 2400mhz to 2993/3200mhz would make a difference if what Dell or Umar say is correct?

Lopt likes this.
  9. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope this memory speed upgrade is for all Area-51m R1 units

Biker Gremling, Fire Tiger and Lopt like this.
  10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    If BIOS 1.8.1 still hasn't added the XMP option, did you guys try to set it via Intel XTU or AW's software instead to see if XMP functionality has been implemented that way?

Papusan likes this.