*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking for a powerful workstation laptop for high end vfx. I found this laptop to be the best candidate though it has some big caveats. I saw someone post this in a similar topic for people who were looking for powerful workstation laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if there are other candidates. I think razer blade pro could also be considered one. The requirements were 8 cores minimum, 8GB GFX card, 64-128GB RAM, 17" 4k IPS panel, great OC capability and cooling, go run 4.5-5Ghz on all cores.

If you look at most of these laptops, they are fairly thin so it's hard to imagine they won't throttle under load, or even provide enough power, in the case of Asus proart series at least.

Studiobook One is super powerful but that thin, 15" ruins it, other ProArt models with 6 cores and FHD screen is a joke IMO.

HP Zbook I am not sure but FHD is still pass.

I heard Aorus comes very close to gt76 and 51m but also FHD and dim screen.

Aero 17 is a very solid choice with one of the best 4k laptop screen with HDR but of course will throttle, as it's fairly thin. My friend has this so I know quite a bit about this model. If it had 128GB, it would be great choice given the price also.

Dell Precision also looks solid but I read it's TN panel and also the price becomes ridiculous with the above quoted specs.

ThinkPad P73 could be the best price/performance as it has 4k 17" IPS HDR with 128GB RAM, but the fact that they allow RTX 5000 only for 6 core but 4000 for the 8 core makes it less than ideal. I also know it comes with locked i9 so I assume can't OC by design due to thermals. If I am not wrong, someone was saying this model also throttles. Any ideas?

I normally don't care about quadro as much as I care about VRAM, so the more the better for vfx purposes so you can fit larger data on your GPU, that's the biggest bottleneck, not the fact that it's GTX/RTX or Quadro.

So that leaves gt76 9SG and 51m. Now 51m has amazing design looks wise, but I heard gt76 has better thermals under full load? For some reason some resellers are not selling this anymore, not sure what's the reason for this?

Now you might say why care about 51m then because it also doesn't have 4k panel but I saw someone rigged a 4k display on this machine.

I am curious if this is possible or the next model might have it?

Another reason is I am curious about the leak of 51m R2 that shows better cooling, but nothing on CES were shown.

I also see some resellers offer maximum thermal repasting, LMs, deliddling, silicon lottery, etc. What do you guys think about this? Risky or no to buy from the reseller?

Thanks in advance :)

c69k likes this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @lestat2k7
    Why no Clevo options?

AW A51M will likely not have a 4K refresh for quite some time. If at all...

I will let you do the research if you never heard of them... But I'm sure @Papusan can chime in with the pro's and cons ;)

Current Models 17" with LGA Desktop CPU and 4K Panel options.
    Clevo P870TM
    Clevo P775TM

Upcoming:
    X170 sometime in Q2 2020?

lestat2k7 likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Why would Dell show Area-51m R2 if Intel haven't the 10th gen processors ready?
    Intel reportedly delayed 10th gen Desktop Due to high (300w) power consumption Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 01/10/2020 10:12 AM

Many of us have been expecting some announcement from Intel on the Comet lake desktop processor front. We've already seen many motherboards names based on the new Z490 chipset leak and complete product listings. But nothing was mentioned during CES.
    +90% of the gaming laptops you show here is just Jokebooks. See my post below.
    There is only 2 or 3 choices from what I can see... The rest is soldered tragedies. MSI GT76 with 9900K is destroyed by soldered GPU. No thanks!

Clevo P870TM
    Clevo P775TM
    Area-51M

The rest is pure Junk.

My choice if I bought new today...
    EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM-R - 17.3" FHD 144Hz / QHD 120Hz /

Pro's and Cons...

Pro's... The best out there.
    Cons... The P870TM is EOL model.

X170 sometime in Q2 2020? Probaly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Rei Fukai, RMLJD and lestat2k7 like this.
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need a tool? buy a tool, not a toy. With the corresponding pro service! My opinion.

OC and bad service is not an alternative if I am looking for a reliable tool.

Rei Fukai, Papusan and lestat2k7 like this.
  5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    My 2920XM has been running severely overclocked since it came out in 2011, 24/7 pushing 4.3-4.4Ghz 4 cores on a chip that was designed to top out at 3.5Ghz on a single core. Still running to this day. The key is to not mess around with overvolting as that WILL punish components.

6. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot guys, I heard of Clevo but the models I checked including the ones listed and the EVOC one, I heard/read their display is mediocre and their pricing for similar spec as a high end 51m, they were more than 2k more expensive.

Another thing that bothers me with those is that their build design looks horrible with thick bezels. X170 now that one looks good. I just don't know why clevo doesn't pay attention to design a bit more. I don't want macbook/razer like design but something more elegant. You can be both thick build like 51m and still look elegant with thin bezels etc.

Also 1000 nits look very appealing to me. Not sure if it's also HDR.

Something like RTX Titan or RTX 6000 would be amazing purely because of 24GB memory and only ProArt One has it, but like I mentioned that thin of a laptop, I can't imagine it maxing out fully.

Do you guys see any othe contenders?

What about the 12 core ryzen laptop?

Do you guys think there will be some beefy workstation laptops either using AMD or Intel this year?

Also I was asking about hidevolution because their price was much cheaper than dell with higher specs. They offer 128GB for 51m, Dell doesn't for example. In december I made a 51m build with 128GB, 2080, delidded 9900KS (binned for 5.1), all thermal repasting, padding, etc, and 780W power adapter for about 5200 I think. Now it shows higher price.

7. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to create a usb Windows 10 recovery on a USB stick.

I placed a formatted new NTFS 64gb USB stick and ran the Windows 10 recovery program....... It comes up with "unable to complete program"?????

Area 51 as per description

Will premium support help?

Google useless!!!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you got another computer you can try it on? Dell are likely to point you to their recovery tool process, which I think is this - https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/wt64a

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    pathfindercod likes this.
  9. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I upgraded the Windows 10 with a key to Pro...... Does that matter?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what you are asking? What was your initial plan? Did you want to re-install Windows just so you could upgrade to Pro? But as that hadn't worked you have just done a key update in place as such? I don't think I've ever done that but as long as everything is working as you expected and you have the additional Pro applications/settings then yeah it should be fine.

I'm not sure there would be anyway during the install process to enter the Pro key (as I'm sure it grabs your key from the BIOS) to give those options during the installation, however, there are far more knowledgable people on here than me who maybe able to give a better answer as to the best process in doing this.

Spartan and Lopt like this.