*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. xMAXIMUSx

xMAXIMUSx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yeah you want the latest and greatest be 6-7000 up in Canadia, no thanks. Mine was 3600 canadian pesos with 2 years of premium plus 9900k 2080 144z got the non g sync

xcal237 likes this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it depends, if you want a well-specced laptop that'll handle most tasks without issue then you shouldn't regret it.

If you bought it on a spur of the moment and have no 'real' need for it right now and had time to wait for the newest and greatest, then, you should probably look to return it as you'll probably always have the 'what if I'd waited' feelings and likely won't ever love it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    RMLJD likes this.
  3. xMAXIMUSx

Reputations:
    In the last year i have a 15 r4 with a sound issue that developed 3 weeks after the warranty ran out, a m17 that developed a motherboard issue after i purchased the area 51m, with the replacement probably in someones return unit with everything else wrong with it being shipped back to dell as we speak, but says back order!! Have already said to dell i might be having to cancel, and get out while i can, might have to buy a clevo from eurocom or wherever but not to sure about warranty i like dells in house option, when they have parts.

4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you are probably right, I have no real need to be frank, I bought it when my Alienware 18 got lost.

I really doubted dell could fix a 10 core cpu in a laptop and the focus would be for the mobile version

I thought the R1 would launch in April to July

but I made an oppsy and I deserve it for being naive

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. devilhunter

Reputations:

Clevo and Eurocom for the same specs are much more expensive

I’m surprised as well

6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    There so far appears to be no R2 with the new CPU socket announced, the only leak referencing an R2 is a pic of a GPU and heat pipe assembly showing a different screwdown, and a tweet saying it would awhile before an R2 appears. Right now the R1 for at least the next quarter or two is all your going to see. There really is no "ugpraded" GPU unless you're thinking of a 2080 Super, and even that is not all that much better than a 2080... overall enjoying my unit (9700K+2080) and typing this message on it...

Biker Gremling and devilhunter like this.
  7. devilhunter

Reputations:
    and what about the al mighty 10900k ? would be it be present in R2?

8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Probably - but the question is when ? Can you wait 6-12 months? The fact there as literally _no_ details or even a tease on an AW51M R2 at CES and a tweet saying it would be some time.... I wouldn't hold my breath unless you just have to have it. I really question the need for a 10-core processor though... I mean, its cool and all, but.... most people hardly utilize 6 much less 8 or now 10... even for simultaneous gaming and streaming...

9. xcal237

xcal237 Newbie

Reputations:
    I like that sig bro... fingers crossed edition. I call mine the fixer upper edition

xMAXIMUSx likes this.
  10. xMAXIMUSx

Reputations:

Was going to call it Frank Azor Final Edition