*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When on batt I sometimes get a momentary freeze. Never when plugged in.

That wireless logo though.....have not seen that..how are connecting? Could it be a custom network icon?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are issues with all laptops, but if you do want the A51m I'd hold off until January/
    February. I think the 2nd revision is on the way and will hopefully be better in many ways although I've had no issues other than 1 dead pixel, which was sorted immediately.

Vasudev and Biker Gremling like this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Do you use the Killer software? I think this is an issue that sometimes raises its ugly head when using it. You can uninstall the software and only use the drivers, which might help.

c69k and Papusan like this.
  4. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nope, since day one, I got no Killer Software.
    But now, I'm thinking of installing all of them.
    I'm actually getting this issue every hour !!!
    It's not possible, I can't play anymore.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ill try dis if clicks show up again

6. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Have you double checked its definitely not been installed by Windows? I'd install the latest driver only package from Killer, then uninstall everything Killer using something like Revo. Then install the driver only package you downloaded and test it for a bit. I've got an AX200 card waiting to be installed to try and eliminate the Killer software and potential issues, this way we only have the ethernet to worry about.

7. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So I am curious:

How often is the thermal limit on the 9900K + 2080 kicking in for folks on a BIOS that enforces it? I ask because even running TimeSpy Extreme Stress Test on a 9700K + 2070 I am not hitting it unless I run on Quiet mode which I would never do. Are folks on the 9900K + 2080 frequently throttling on Balanced or Performance mode?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    The thermal limit of 75c was introduced on BIOS 1.5.4, I think its more severe on the 200w vBIOS.

I ran a few tests on performance and full speed fans using the 180w and 200w vBIOS. The 200w vBIOS caused quite aggressive throttling for a considerable time, however, using the 180w version the throttling didn't seem anywhere near as bad and the scores were better using the 180w vBIOS. It'll come down to the type of games or apps you use etc. @Biker Gremling has made a good guide to undervolting the 2080 to keep the temps in check.

Biker Gremling likes this.
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reference. I am still in a window that I could theoretically return my unit up through the first week or so of January, so I am on the fence. I like the unit, I like the Gsync screen, I like the storage capacity, the _only_ real issue is this question of throttling... is the heat on the 2080 just substantially more than the 2070? I mean its more power, ergo more heat, but I have yet to find a good breakdown on the temperature difference on average between the 2070 and the 2080 in an Area 51m R1... anyone know of one? Wish we had a detail on an R2 version, but if I know Dell there might be a teaser on it then not one for another 3-6 months.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I throttled constantly on world of Warcraft at setting 10. Within a few minutes the FPS dropped substantially and it didn't unthrottle for a long time. Not as much, if at all on the 3dmark benchmarks. I think the gaps between the phases of the benchmarks have enough time to cool a bit. Stress test it would kick in just about and it would fail the tests

Performance, or balanced it didn't matter

9700 plus 2070 is a totally different thing.

I also did try ubdervolting and I couldnt get it not throttling. But I am not sure if did it right