*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Found the unlock setting and just finished a session. Saw the same results, also on a 2070. Lot of room for MS to optimize.

Oddly enough! HWINFO is reading temps about 5 degrees cooler then afterburner.

B0B likes this.
  2. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For Reach - I've hit like 200-300 fps @ 1600Mhz on the GPU (downclocked for low temps) with balanced fan mode keeping it ~60 deg C. Similar results with only one 330w adapter plugged in. When I first played it I was hitting 300+ with a occasional spikes to 600 fps depending on the map (not joking) with a standard OC setting on the GPU. Expect 144 hz with cool temps for this game I'd say. It'd be even better with an adjustable frame limiter to cap it at 144hz.

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I ran the AGA with my AMD Radeon VII for awhile and I can tell you it won't do much at all for CPU temps.

I have tested this with
    AW 13 R3
    AW m15 R1
    AW m15 R2

CPU temps are still high. I still hit 100C on my 9900K with AMP if I don't undervolt.

I don't want anyone to get their hopes up.

Also I put the Radeon VII into my Server and it seems to run better (clocks are more stable).

However, with that said, the GPU is still only 1-3 FPS away from my desktop. I play at 4K on my desktop so the difference ain't much.

AMP is pretty good for 1440p 120FPS or 4K 60Hz +

Unfortunate this never came to us consumers.

Did anyone actually test 1.8.1 for anything OTHER than GPU temp throttle?

Maybe 1.8.1 brought support for 2666Mhz RAM and maybe XMP?

I have 2133Mhz RAM so I can't test...

EDIT: That guy is running a custom build BIOS...

I flashed 1.8.1 and tried 2666Mhz RAM from another laptop and STILL runs at 2400Mhz....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    DreDre and win32asmguy like this.
  4. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How to run a custom bios??

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Bro, you just need to go nuts with a desktop. You're going through the kind of pain that ultimately turned me against laptops.They just don't make 'em like they used to. Any dream of the possibility of having a custom/unlock BIOS is totally destroyed with the awareness that this machine has been perma-gimped at a firmware level by Intel BootGuard. You'd need to find a replacement PCH chip without BootGuard and have a BGA soldering station to remove and replace that chip.

Yeah, a Clevo will run way better, but it's not a desktop either. Closer, but still a bit off the mark.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    DreDre, Rei Fukai, Darkhan and 3 others like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    We can't. He might be someone who tests pre-release BIOS.

Or he got lucky with some bug. We won't know until that user tells us. Now where is my USB...need to get back to 1.5.0.

Having lots of fun with my desktop as well. It's getting full 32GB 3200Mhz Quad-Channel next week. No more 2133Mhz or mix-match issues.

7. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello there,

I was thinking about deliding the i9 9900k, I know a guy that does it with the tools and have some experience... I have seen the bartxstore custom IHS for this laptop... but I have one question;

It's really neccesary to do the lapping? Because delidding is already risky but the lapping thing... It goes too much for me I think.

Can I go with a simple delid with liquid metal and the bartxstore custom IHS without lapping the DIE? Or it's really necessary?

Thanks!

8. jc_denton

jc_denton P870TM1-SKYLINE

Reputations:
    Did you get the official 9th gen copper ihs? I'd almost argue that lapping is a must for an overclocked 9900k.
    I lapped my 9900k to the extreme, results were ~27c temp reduction, while using a custom made 4.37mm BartX ihs.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Supposedly the colors a bit better on the newer Chi Mei panels at least according to one post I read somewhere. I have the gsync 144 newer panel, and while its naturally not as good as my AW3418DW desktop panel, its pretty good for laptop panel. I am spoiled onthe OLED on my trusty AW 13 R3 though, _nothing_ compares to OLED - I'd give my eye-teeth to have a Gsync 144hz OLED panel....

I calibrated it with a SyperPro 5 and it looks pretty sweet after that. I wish color saturation and green depth was a bit more, but I honestly can't complain otherwise. The Gsync in games is nice since my desktop panel has it, 60hz is just so jarring now.

Terreos likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The problem using a thicker lid is the Unified heatsink in Area. You need add a copper shim in proper thickness on the Gpu side. This means worse cooling for the graphics card. It’s a choice between Pest and Cholera.