*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How are you talk in to them like that Twitter?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

A feature that we paid for... Which I guess Is kinda irrelevant in some situations but gsync not worth the gpu throttle that is caused... I would just go down to 1.5.0 until it's fixed in latest.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2019
    Silverfeyn likes this.
  2. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    First, when I started this "fight" about this problem, I posted several tweets mentioning them on twitter and asking for a solution and the message me. We are talking through messages since then

3. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What's the Twitter page

4. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I see here's where things line up:

"I decided to lap the die on my 9900K as the temperatures were at the limit when benching at 5Ghz. For instance, when benching CBR15 temps were hitting 92c and that was with low ambient."

Basically you had the same issue as many of us with your 9900K + P870 series CPU stock. This is what I was also trying to say earlier.

It doesn't matter whether you have P870, Area-51m, GT76, they will all run hot at stock.

This is also why I am telling people here, if they want low temps, they will basically need to do what you did. Even then under regular ambient temps, regular fans (we don't game on open window/max fans, at least I don't) it will be hot.

So basically, same issue as 1.7.3 then? At least that's what it's sounding like.

Unfortunate, wish they would have just left it alone.

Btw, not all mitigation relate to Hyper-threading. Although non HT definitely has less performance hit.

I'm pretty sure they are just saying this and won't do anything. Just mu opinion.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    So let me ask - given the new socket coming for Intel and the BIOS restrictions issues, what do you consider the sell points on the R1 Area 51M? My first take of course is the power of the desktop components, the flexibility to still change memory, wifi card, and more drive space. Assuming there will be at least one generation of video card in DGFF(sp) format, what would tell someone is the key selling point right now? What would you tell yourself or someone who asked why you continue to opt onto an Area 51 R1 now?

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    What was the selling point of your M17xR2 and M14XR2? They never received CPU upgrades either. R1 users couldn't update to the Ivy bridge CPUs while desktop did.

Area-51m has the best design (IMO) over the other competitors.

It has the Amplifier port which is fun to play with (I ran Titan X & Radeon VII on mine) but it also provides GPU future proofing if DGFF ever EOL'd (I'm confident that next gen DGFF will work in our machines, not so sure 2-3 generations from now)

Keyboard (IMO) is best on Area-51m from competitors

Customer support (IMO) is best on Area-51m compared to competitors

I'm also confident we are screwed because of Intel's socket change. I don't expect anything until Q2 2020 at the earliest though. It will add a 10-core CPU. I definitely wanna see how they tame that. Chassis will most likely stay the same.

If someone is willing to wait at least 6 months, I'd say skip the R1 and wait for R2. 6 months is a long time though.

If you can't wait that long or don't care for 10-cores and maybe 2080 SUPER cards (rumor has it, 3000 series are delayed cause AMD can't compete) then get the Area-51m. Lots of sales and there's also refurbished models too.

User Replaceable CPUs, GPUs, RAM, SSDs, Wi-Fi card are some points. You don't HAVE to upgrade. If one part fails you can always replace it. Much better than BGA.

The Area-51m when released had decent performance (BIOS 1.3.2 and 1.5.0 actually increased power limits) but 1.6.2+ brought out a GPU throttle at 79C+

There's no telling how the R2 will perform at launch with all these new limitations.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Terreos, EepoSaurus and Papusan like this.
  8. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why is Dell making the GPU throttling at 79°C? That seems a pretty low temperature for a laptop's GPU. Plus 200W GPU will peak around 85°C when full power is needed.

Were the Dell gtx 2080 burning over 80°C?

Enviado desde mi G8441 mediante Tapatalk

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  10. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The initial high temps were due to poor contact pressure on the TM1 heatsink. Mentioned in p1 of the writeup.
    I lost the lottery on that heatsink and had to do several mods in order to achieve proper contact pressure.

Make no mistake, it does not come out this way out the box. It took a lot of work to get to this point, and this is pretty much as good as it gets. My goal is to show what is possible, and why we should hold companies, who offer this kind of hardware, to a higher standart. They should not get a free pass for pumping out crippled garbage that runs 100c out the box, for a premium price.

So don't take this as critique of the 51m, but as what these companies should strive towards.

EepoSaurus likes this.