*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Remember to clear CMOS when changing CPU's.

2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What can it do if don't ouo? This 9900k is super freaking hot >< not gonna lie I liked how the KS just stayed chill at 4.7 lol.. But maybe I'll get this thing delided and see how it is then do you think silicon lottery is good? I think it's like 60$?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

nader_rizk2003 likes this.
  3. jc_denton

Reputations:
    It might not boot, random BSOD's etc. IMC might not be happy if you're running tight timings, as strength of each varies from chip to chip.

Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not a problem on the Area:) Memory oc’ing is locked out.

5. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I finally got my computer yesterday... It's really, good, I like it. It is not noisy at all, even when it goes to full power of course you hear the fans, but they are not making that whining noise like an overdriven jet turbine.
    So I have already added the RAM and changed the SSD, and here is where I am quite disappointed. I have downloaded and installed the recovery image for Win10 from the Dell website and I was expecting to have all the Dell software already running, but no, and it has been a pain. It took me hours to reinstall the command center, the Microsoft Store was not allowing me to install the FX and anothe couple of modules. I had to find an old installer and then managed to update it and I got everything except the FX, which was still not being downloaded. After about one hour and a number of reboots, it just came out. But I cannot download or install the driver for the touchpad, and the backlight on the touchpad is not working any more. I am not even sure if I have got all the drivers I need... According to the Alienware Update I am fine, but for example I don't know how to configure the function keys and I don't know if I have all the software installed.
    Is there any way to get the full package bypassing the stupid store?
    Another question: I have seen in the BIOS that there are two slots for the M.2 disks. Is it just on the BIOS or there is actually the possibility to install a second M.2 disk? Where is that supposed to go? Same for the second SSD, should it go under the battery?
    In case it is useful for anyone, Oculus Rift works fine with the Dell adaptor for the mini display port (the manual says that only the original Oculus one works).

6. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, and the other thing, which software do you use for thermal monitoring?

7. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Kinda tempted to get a 9900ks again.. I mean I can't run my 9900k past 4.7ghz without things getting crazy hot, and I don't think a delid will help much >< dammit lol

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried silicon lottery, very very bad experience. I paid more than $100 for delidding, repaste and binning. They sent the 9900k back with uneven IHS. I contacted them again, they refunded the money and gave me a return label and they fixed it then sent it back to me but too much heat & laptop not booting problems. This time they made me pay another shipping and they told me they don’t find any issues with the cpu. My word against their word ended up by a 9900k unusable next to me on my desk.

9. jc_denton

Reputations:
    Uneven IHS, as in you had it resealed or lapped? Reason you're getting higher temps could also be due to z-height being much lower after removal of STIM. Thus not enough contact pressure between IHS and the heatsink.

10. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i had pretty good luck with s.l. sofar, but then again i only ever bought binned chips and never used their delidding / relidding services. but i heard quite a few stories like yours.. :-/

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

nader_rizk2003 likes this.