*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And then when a new Windows updates rolls out, you have to redo it all AGAIN, as it secretly re-enables stuff :(

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I only just found out that telemetrics cannot properly be disabled on less than enterprise/education and had assumed Pro was better than home.

The poster who said it takes many hours is true, next time I lockdown I must remember to try and back it up. Can never truly trust it though

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's why I have my desktop in multi-boot. I don't have enough drive bays to do it with the MECH-15, but I have always done this in the past with my laptops as well.

I have W7 and W10 LTSC all locked down tighter than a gnat's butt in the winter, no updates allowed, no Cortana crap and running like greased lightning, no security software of any kind installed and zero issues without the corruption that comes with allowing the Redmond Retards to play digi-god. Then I have the latest W10 Enterprise (currently 1909) as the disposable crash test dummy OS with all of the worthless filth enabled. All are imaged as a clean install.

Papusan, Fire Tiger and jc_denton like this.
  4. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll have to redo my Win 10 Pro install, I just dread doing it because it can take up a whole weekend to get it up to code. I'd much rather be benching than forced to fiddle with Windows 10 every month.

Is the Enterprise license worth getting compared to Pro?

Papusan, Fire Tiger and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Depends. Regular Enterprise has a few features Pro does not have that are primary for use in a corporate domain. It's a little better, but probably only worth buying up front. If you already have Pro, not so much.

However, Enterprise LTSC 2019, yes... definitely worth it. You can get it on eBay really cheap. It has no Windows Store, no Cortana, no UWP apps, no Edge browser... TOTALLY stripped down. It does have Defender AV and Firewall, but that's it. It requires no ISO modding, just your typical killing of some unnecessary garbage services and group policy tweak that all versions (including W7) require.

Nice thing about LTSC... if you have Updates enabled you only get the security crap. No feature changes or version updates. Many similarities to W7... hardly any nonense involved. Made for hardcore Corporate IT admins that will not tolerate any foolish crap from their PC fleet.

The down side to LTSC (and the ONLY one) is if you want to play any XBOX games on Windows, you're screwed if it requires the latest version of their cancer. Example is Gears 5. I can only install it on 1903-1909. You can manually install Store and XBOX on LTSC, but LTSC 2019 build is not new enough to allow running the latest games.

6. firedragon247

Reputations:
    Telemetry setting 0 works on Enterprise only. I haven't been able to find out if disabling the services actually stops telemetrics being sent in any version of Windows 10. I think there are more privacy settings only in enterprise too

Papusan, jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the break down brother Fox! That does make a great case for switching, and XBOX stuff is completely irrelevant in my case.
    Do you get the ISO for it through te Microsoft site and use the ebay key on install?

8. firedragon247

Reputations:
    It looks interesting and seeing some interesting reviews about how much faster and smoother it is that the usual Windows 10. There was something I was wondering, if you took a version of Enterprise, could you strip out all the bloatware and get it to be the same standard as LTSC?

Or can you take LTSC and add the bare minimum to make it game friendly, I.e. a few apps like Nvidia and AWCC seem to need Windows store to work properly. Sounds like Xbox games from what you said are not working, anything else?

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You do have to be careful about where you get the ISO, as some of the links the eBay sellers give are not kosher. Some are spiked with malware. Brother @Papusan might still have a link where he downloaded LTSC not long ago that he can PM to you. I've got an official ISO from Micro$lop if you have any trouble finding it. MDL is generally the best place to get it. I have never downloaded a bad Windows ISO from MDL. The hashes are always an exact match for the official ISO.

Yes, absolutely, you can add any of the extra crap and it works fine. The beauty of that is YOU decide what gets installed. So, to be clear everything works except when it requires a newer build. For example, Gears of War 4 works fine, but Gears 5 does not because it requires a newer build. The only limitation is when the XBOX game requires a newer version of Windows 10. This is no different than running Home or Pro in that respect. You cannot use some of the newest XBOX/UWP games on Home or Pro unless you are running a current version of Windows 10 and have all of the updates cancer applied because the Digi-Nazis need to own you and your PC if you want to play.

You don't need the Store for NVIDIA Control Panel. Just use a non-DCH driver and you've got the superior version of NVIDIA Control Panel. The DCH/UWP version sucks.

lostclusters, Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  10. firedragon247

Reputations:
    Looks like I can download the iso from msdn which I have access to so that solves any worry about non kosher

When I tried to install non-DCH drivers before they wouldn't install. Is this not an issue for ltsc?

I only pretty much play world of Warcraft and not Xbox games so for me, sounds like a real option to explore then.

I did see a "decrapifier" script trying to make windows as close to LTSC as possible but adding is always easier than removing as you said

Mr. Fox likes this.