*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I wonder how Frank Azor is doing at AMD? There was so much misinformation and empty promises around the Area 51m and even the m15/m17 r2 it’s not even funny. Promises of 2666 MHz support, a 4K display coming, and there being an upgradable memory slot in the m15? Man AMD has to be desperate to hire him. I’m genuinely curious to see what he tries to sell us from AMD in the future.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    He has always had connections with AMD. And only Apple and Alienware used AMD graphics in notebooks the last years before we saw Acer jumped on same trend http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ers-welcome-too.810490/page-676#post-10966344

jc_denton and Terreos like this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just in case anyone was uncertain:
    As expected, the AX201 CNVi card does not work in the 51m. Stick to the 9560 CNVi card or a PCIe variant of either (9260/AX200) when swapping out the Killer card.

Fire Tiger, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which one is the best?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Also will those other network cards make a difference at all for gaming?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Windoze OS X 1903 broke a few things and 1909 doesn't fix them. And, 1909 broke AeroGlass on all four computers in my house that have 1909. Good luck with finding a fix. I would not hold my breath, as neither Dell nor Micro$lop seem to care about fixing their problems. They're too busy inventing new ones. Chances are good that you're looking at a clean install anyhow. It seems popular to want a stock image among Alienware owners, but there is really nothing special or magical about the original factory image. If anything the original image is inferior to a clean install. The only good way to preserve the stock image is to boot from a Macrium Reflect USB stick on a new system that hasn't been allowed to load Windows or run through the setup/OOBE crap yet, then image that drive. Or, remove the drive immediately after unboxing and create an image from it using another computer. As soon as it is allowed to load the desktop and connect to the internet the corruption begins.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger, Papusan and Virale like this.
  7. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol you’ve given me such little hope hahahahaha Mr. Fox; crusher of dreams, destroyer of hope, tyrant of illusions!!!

Aaah I’m too lazy to do a clean install frankly lol.

Would AW mobile connect even work on a clean install? I recall seeing a post saying that it only works on the stock image.

Fire Tiger, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sorry, not trying to discourage you, bro. Just sharing what I have been though so you don't feel less fortunate. I feel your pain. That should be encouraging. Plus, I am kind of pragmatic about most things. Realizing there is nothing I can do about things that don't go the way I want them to, I usually spend more time looking for an alternate path that allows me to take control of things rather than trying to salvage someone else's screwed up mess. I am usually more satisfied finding a real solution rather than an fix. I'm sometimes the same with people, although I try harder not to be. Not doing things the way I want, tell them what I want and make sure they know how to do it... one more chance to get it right, then replace them with someone that will. (I can fix a lack of skill, but not a lack of will.) Problem solved. No fuss, no muss.

But, yeah... totally get it. Reinstalling Windows is a pain in the butt, and Windows 10 requires such an inordinate amount of tweaking to make it suck at an acceptable level that it is even more of a pain in the butt. No kidding, I bet it takes me 10 to 12 hours of farting around to get Windows 10 tweaked to a state that I am willing to tolerate it. Can easily blow an entire weekend tweaking and tuning this piece of crap OS. That is one of the reasons I love Macrium Reflect so much. Saves me a ton of time.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    DreDre, Fire Tiger, c69k and 3 others like this.
  9. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hahahaha we’re similar me and you! I don’t want to blow my weekend tweaking. Been there, done that... clean installs, I used to do a lot... but lately I’m just fed up with it, so I’d rather live with these very minor inconveniences. I said to myself I would live stock with this PC when I first received it... Hahaha I care too little to mess around with it too much. As long as I can game with buddies and all important functions work, I’m good.

Thank you!!!

DreDre, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sent you a pm. And no tweaking required

Mr. Fox likes this.