*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    *quoted* you can also have a technician from the company come to your house to perform the installation, which is built into the cost.

Would be nice if they would deduct the price for those that are OK installing themselves instead of charging same either way.

Biker Gremling, Papusan and ssj92 like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    MogRules and Darkhan like this.
  3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome. Selling off our current GPU should definitely offset a lot of the cost. I’ll be happy when I see the 3000 series available. What sucks the most is no CPU upgrades. The best we will have is the 9900KS, and that’s probably way more than enough for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    th 9700k and 9900k hell even 8700k is more than enough for a LONGTIME. GPU's upgrades would be more beneficial.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I ended up getting my replacement 51m and it's working so far but just some concerns, so I did repaste the system with nanogrease extreme, and the cpu Temps are amazing but the gpu is climbing up to 84c when gaming, is that normal? The environment I was in was abit warm at the time, but I just moved so it's like 16F atm lol.. I have the 200w vbios with main bios 1.5.0 when I undervolt the card pulls about 175w and decreases temp aswell as fps quite abit but I would like to be able to run at 200w unless there isn't a point. Also the tobii software from windows isn't installing either no matter what I try and one big problem is when I use gsync in any game my screen flickers black pretty bad, im on driver 441. I'm also on windows 1909 unless I should go to 1809 or 1803. And the drivers I installed came from a post on notebook fourm with everything in one big order, they could have been slightly out of date. But I wasn't sure.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

6. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GPU-temps are OK with that BIOS.

I actually had to reinstall my Windows completely to get the results I was hoping for, laptop feels al ot better since. Im running the latest updates with no issues. The G-sync will probably not work with the 200w 1.0.0.5 bios if you have a newer batch laptop. Chi-mei panels will not work with G-sync below bios 1.6.1.2.

With latest vbios your temperatures will be lowered to 74c instead of 84 aswell if you're having concerns with temperatures, but the clock speeds might go down aswell. Im running latest vbios and my computer is handling it well, no throttling what I can see.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You may have accidentally mixed up the BIOS and vBIOS.

The vBIOS provides the GPU with either 180/190/200w.

The BIOS is what is controlling the GPU throttle limit, so anything after 1.5.0, had a 75c limit implied on the GPU. Anything before 1.5.4 had no thermal limit, allowing the GPU to hit 87c.

What you have said in regards to G-Sync is slightly correct, if you have Chi Mei panel, which is supplied on the newer models, then you will lose G-Sync if you chose any BIOS prior to 1.6 (cannot be 100% on version). This is due to the panel not being within the Dell inventory when the earlier BIOS' were created.

You can run any vBIOS along with any BIOS, its just that depending on which BIOS you have you may lose G-Sync or find throttling etc. as per above.

Ludwig Tornheden likes this.
  8. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes you are right. What Fire Tiger said is correct.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So my currently max temp with 180w bios is 75c it seems but it definitely lowered the performance abit. can the 51m not handle 200w that well? I wish I could just run it at that x. X really sucks but goes over 80c, I mean I think it could be my paste application wasn't the best but then again I'm not sure if no matter what is done if 80c will happen with 200w regardless.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone else who performed a clean install of Windows having issues with getting the Alienware Pointing Devices software reinstalled? I'm just looking to be able to disable/enable the touchpad when I have a mouse plugged in, but after my clean reinstall I cannot download this software off of Windows Store. I just spoke to Dell and they said they cannot help without billing me for a tech to come to me and look into it, since I bought certified refurbished and added third-party drives. No, idiots, it's not the fault of the SSD I bought or the job I did on the reinstall, it's your fault for having garbage software!!! What a bunch of BS!!! Anybody run into this issue?

Edit: Also, I can tell already after being told twice on different issues that I need to pay for service, that Dell's warranty service is worthless if you plan on ever adding third-party parts. They will not help without taking your money, regardless of whether the issue is related to the added parts or not.