*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the video. Yeah at the right side of my Alienware logo I can't see anything other than black/darkness.

2. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    its not a reseller
    its like when some logistic company gives you a place at its storage in another country and you can order something from that country to your "address" in the storage. then logistic company collects packages together(yours and others) and transport lots of packages to your country where you can recieve it. Because for area-51m another ways are impossible. Dells representative in Russia does not import this model like some other high end gaming stuff.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Surely you must have warranty or a return window with someone? They can't just leave you with an incomplete laptop?

pathfindercod likes this.
  4. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The part number for the ASSY, PLT, SCTY, MET, DGFF, AW51M (heat sink under gpu) is 2WYX4. Mine came with screws.

5. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm considering buying this laptop, mostly to use it with VR and as desktop replacement when I travel for long time for work. I have been reading a lot in the past days, I think I have passed the threshold of the "reading too much" :D and I would like to ask a few questions to those who already have it.
    1) If I buy the configuration with only SSD, is the connection for the SATA drive already included or do I need then to buy extra parts to be able to mount a second drive? (it happened on my VAIO...)
    2) I have been reading about components breaking down due to high temperature/low rating. Is this a real problem? I mean, does it happen really or was it just someone's bad luck?
    3) How is the mechanical quality? I'm fine with a big, heavy laptop as long it is big and heavy because it has been built to last.
    4) Is it noisy or not? I have been reading reviews who state both...
    5) What is the distance between the HDMI port and one of the USB3 ports? The cable for the Oculus Rift splits at the end and there cannot be much distance between the two ports.

Thanks!

6. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. The hardware to mount a 2.5" drive is always included

2. Firstly manufactured RTX 2080s had issues, now is fine provided the heatsink for the VRMs is included. However, there have been various ongoing issues with quality control, but I'd say quality (or lack thereof) is on par with other brands.

3. The chasis build quality is avove average. Very solid feeling.

4. The A51m is quieter than most laptops, and even on max fan, noise is grave and therefore not annoying.

5. There are no USB ports on the back, you will need to connect the VR headset via the Thunderbolt port or get a cable extension.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

pathfindercod and c69k like this.
  7. TheChadd

TheChadd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My machine appears to have quite noticible backlight bleed, especially in the bottom left corner.
    The G-Sync function also doesnt work despite having updated the BIOS, cleaned and reinstalled the graphics drivers. I have had the machine for less that a week.
    With this being a Certified Refurb, do you think there is much hope that Dell would be willing to replace the machine or would I be better off seeking a refund?
    I am satisfied with the performance of the machine, however the LCD issues are not something that I could put up with it, nor would I be happy to ship the product off for repair if that were the proposed solution as I cannot afford to without a machine.

8. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My overall review for anyone interested and/or thinking of buying one:

As a disclaimer, these laptops are super expensive so if that's not your cup of tea then simply don't buy one and look elsewhere. If your willing to pay the price then I would also argue at least a 2 year hardware warranty should be purchased at a minimum. I personally purchased a 4 year hardware and accidental because I travel a lot. When spec'ing out your unit, choosing between the i7 and i9 is really a toss up for most buyers - gaming performance is minimal to exactly the same. For actual gaming on new AAA titles and/or if you value FPS, you'll want to buy the RTX 2080 because there are several benefits to buying the better card, as noted below. Ram and SSD/HDD can be purchases later for cheaper so no need to buy that from Dell. It has the best physical connection/method of connecting and external GPU of any laptop to date so that's a plus.

Benefits for buying the better GPU:
    1) Future-proofing.
    2) Better ray tracing (if your into that).
    3) Better VR (again if your into that).
    4) Overclockable / high performance (top tier among other computers/laptops) when on max fans.
    5) Quiet and moderate gaming performance when on balanced fans with a downclock on GPU (maybe a 1500-1600Mhz clock), or when simply using one power plug (this still blows away most gaming laptops and probably most desktops).

Overall the laptop is great: it feels nice to the touch, has a sweet keyboard, gaming performance and just regular computer performance is more than I could have asked for in a laptop. The Chei Mei Gsync screen is butter smooth and the colours are vibrant (to me at least but it's also my first IPS). A few people claimed to have backlight bleed but some of it can POSSIBLY be remedied by making sure the plastic frame isnt too tight against the screen. To those who may complain about the weight/portability: yes it's "heavy" and has 2 plugs, but why is that such a big deal? If you cant carry 10lbs in your bag then I feel no pity for you, go hit the gym or something lol. You wanted a desktop that is portable and small form factor - this is it. I also think the thermal performance is more than fair. These are some of the best performing and hottest components out there so it's not going to run at 50 C under load - you have to know what your getting into. The fans are loud on max but quiet enough to not notice them with headphones. The balanced mode is silent to very quiet, even when gaming on a lower performance setting (maybe 80-90 fps on a lower clock vs 120-130 fps when OC'd).

9. Stephen1892

Stephen1892 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah that's it. Im buying one. I'll order end of the month. Im hoping they will have some discount. There was one about a month ago with 14% off. Otherwise it's like £4300 which is a pretty wack. Maybe I'll get lucky with a black Friday deal or something

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Sounds like you're going all in on spec? As mentioned above, in terms of the harddrive/SSD and RAM, buy the lowest configuration. When I bought mine I think it was the 256GB SSD and 8GB. I upgraded that stuff on my own much cheaper via Amazon.

I'd imagine BF deals will be around 15-17% but that's just my opinion.