*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This whole "there is no heat sink/spreader for the gpu" is BS! I have a 2070 in my a51 and I was able to get a heat sink for the under side of that GPU from Dell and install it myself. It is true that the rep you get on the phone may not be able to find it immediately. It did take the rep I had 5 minutes to find it in thier system. He shipped it to me for free.

Also it would be nice if the poster of the information that there are no vents to vent heat from that heat sink would get thier information straight. Because there is clearly vents that do this thanks to pictures posted here that show that there are vents for that.

What is up with these people? I guess they are just not that well informed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Biker Gremling likes this.
  2. Stephen1892

Stephen1892 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems like this laptop suffers from a lot of issues. I'll probably look at a different brand. I did look at the gt76 but to get the i9900k it only comes with a 4k panel and I dont want to game at 4k. I think a year or two down the line a rtx2080 will struggle at 4k

I was really hoping the a51m would have ticked all the boxes

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Weren't the overheating and burning issues already known by March?

You never got order confirmation email with a full list of all the options chosen? How was the warranty (or lack of) not clear in printed form?

Dell are very good, if not the best, in after sales support and straight up refunds. Many users on these forums are on their 3rd and 4th replacement. If you go online can you not see the status of your laptop/order? Can you not call them up and ask to speak to a manager? That's what I would do.

4. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wish you could understand the amount of calling I have actually done to Dell, as well as messaging their social media. In the UK, there doesn't seem to be any accountability, its outsourced and when I asked to speak to a manager I got told they don't have one. Whether that's a flat out lie or not.

Either I was naive or he did me dirty when I bought it over the phone.

I did get a refund initiated on the 8th Oct but like I said, I still don't have it yet.

5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you think it is completely another man rather than those on dell's forum and email ? Anyway I am from Russia(why do you think my English is so fluent:D) and phone call is very expensive and difficult for me due to very different time zones

yeah sorry. my ass was burning when I point them on their issues, ask for service of high end laptop and get this responce:
    [​IMG]

Oh yea. The fans suck 99% of air from the bottom. This would not help to vrm of videocard as you can see in this thread and others

I had same problem from the begining.
    I dont want to disassemble my unit now for photos so I will take them from web
    Look. This is 1151v2 socket with clamping mechanism.
    [​IMG]

The point is that Dell has poor quality control even for high end products, because brand not always mean good quality but always mean high prices. So my unit has two upper screws that holding the pressing mechanism not tighten -> this causes upper side of pressing mechanism lifting a bit higher above motherboard and socket -> this causes pressing mechanism to become a bit higher than cpu heatspreader on two screws side -> this causes very poor contact of cpu heatspreader and cooling plate with heatpipes -> finaly you always get 100C with throttling and burning smell coming soon.
    Do you really thinking you can buy laptop for 3800$ and simply admire its working? Nah. Not from Dell.
    Take your screwdriver, find some disassembling on youtube and you are ready to go! Dell hopes you are happy as much as they happy to yours 3800usd)

ventilation.. heatsink.. on RTX2080
    HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS ?
    [​IMG]
    A? A? A? A?
    separate heattransfer for gpu die with two radiators
    two separate heatpipes with their own dedicated radiator and fan for gpu memory and videocard vrm
    separate heattransfer for cpu not linked with gpu so whatever you do with your cpu lapping delidding applying custom a bit higher ihs - nothing will cause issues with pressue on gpu die or gpu memory or vrm
    This is how true high end product should look like

Oh yea
    When you buy laptop for 3800$ the only thing you wishing for is not have just working machine. Of course you wish to disassemble it and ask Dell for some radiators which their support does not know.
    How many potential users of area-51m will disassemble it? 10%? 15%?
    Another 85% SHOULD SUFFER FOR ALIENWARE HONOR
    For their own money of course its not free

So make it more clear please. How did you get this heatsink? Called them by phone and didn't let them go untill they understood what you was speaking about?

7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Latest LAN + Wireless Drivers 05-Nov-19

Drivers List:

Aquantia LAN Driver v2.1.18.0
    Killer 1435-1535 WLAN Driver v12.0.0.918
    Killer E2K Ethernet Driver v10.036.0701.2019
    Killer E2X Ethernet Driver v9.0.0.49
    Killer E3000 Ethernet Driver v10.036.0701.2019
    Intel Wireless Driver v21.50.1 (Also works for Killer 1550-1650)
    Intel Wireless Bluetooth Driver v21.50.0
    Killer 1550-1650 Bluetooth Driver v21.50.1.1
    Killer 1435-1525-1535 Bluetooth Driver v10.0.0.916
    Killer Uninstaller v1.0.2019.0927

Don't forget to unblock the ZIP file before unzipping it. For how to do this, see:
    "Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

8. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can get the vrm heatsink from dell/Alienware for free as it's what you already paid for. I had a huge headache getting this vrm heatsink myself but in the end I ended up with one they mailed to me for no cost.
    My update is on pg 1581

REAN1MAT0R and Biker Gremling like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Confirmed. As usual... Panels rarely run into Hardware Heaven the first years.

Update to “My Area 51m is reading the matrix
    [​IMG]

So, here’s the quick rundown:

"He told me the gpu failed because I spent 3 hours straight gaming"
    Yeah, Not much airflow will be flushed over the passive cooled heatspreader. But better than nothing. The 2070 DGFF cards have nothing. The Matrix above is for the records... You guessed? 2070

10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Meanwhile I’ve done 16 hour gaming on hp omen regularly with Alienwares 190w vbios. Actively cooling vrms through heat pipes make a hell of a difference. Luckily the vrms have a temp sensor, the last time I saw that was on an msi laptop from way back, vrms reach a max of 75c which is normal meanwhile Alienware vrms are probably pushing 100c. Sure I don’t get desktop grade cpu performance (I can get damn close to a stock 9900k) but my laptop isn’t going to burn up that’s for sure :D
    Might try the 200w vbios soon lol.

c69k likes this.