*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 2070 + 9700, no undervolting yet, I always do this in BIOS and I don't think there's a BIOS way for the a51m :(.

I get no throttling even after 1hr of stress test (FurMark + RealBench).
    Max CPU temp: 92c (might have throttled but not while I was observing)
    Max GPU temp: 79c (might have throttled but not while I was observing)
    Ambient temp: 23c
    TimeSpy score (all default options): 7926 (max GPU was 72c)

I haven't done anything to my a51m yet, still haven't even reinstalled Windows which is something I usually do in the 1st hour.

Solder looks better on the new one... sure it's not as clean, but it has more mass. If I was sending it to space I would want less mass, but for a heat sink more mass is better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome! Without seeing the context in which they are written I will give them both a shot. LM = Liquid Metal and IHS = Integrated Heat Spreader/Sink.

By repasting and re-padding (which it looks like you are planning) coupled with an undervolt via XTU/ThrottleStop, you should be fine. Obviously, all CPUs are different but most here have had success with these steps.

If you plan on playing GPU intensive games you are likely to find that the BIOS (anything above 1.5.0) will limit/throttle the GPU to 75c. You can overcome this by downgrading the BIOS using the guide below, however, if you have G-Sync and the new Chi Mei panel, you will lose the G-Sync functionality going to any BIOS before 1.6.2 (I could be wrong on the actual version where the ability is lost).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ny-alienware-to-locked-lower-versions.829542/

I'm hopeful it will last you the full 5+ years, although there have been a number of 2080s burnout on this model. The failure rate, from what I can see on forums and such seems to have slowed, albeit I'd recommended getting the longest warranty you can afford to be sure you get the full term from it or a replacement in the future should the 2080 fail.

Hope this helps.

3. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup, mine sounds like it was a CD/DVD drive in it o_O

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    IHS = integrated heat spreader (the metal exterior lid of a CPU’s processor)

LM is liquid metal thermal compound in a liquid form that is highly conductive. It has the best thermal performance but takes some skill to apply safely. I personally use Gelid Extreme or ICD7.

jclausius and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will write big post about it later after work
    Shortly
    DONT BUY Area-51m !
    I bought my unit at 24 October.
    It does not have vrm heatspreader for videocard! It will cause vrm burn out! I send message to dell and they answered "we dont have vrm heatsink upgrade option, videocard without heatsink must be capable to handle load". Aha how many 2080 without vrm heatsink did you see guys? Alive - no one.
    This is nothing more than provoking breakdowns by dell itself. Even vrm heatsink cant save you from fried videocard because there is no airflow or heatpipe for it.
    Another thing with my unit was poor tightening of 2 out of 3 screws that holds the pressure cap of cpu. It causes very bad contact between cpu and heatpites plate - quick overheating to 100C while the fans do not have time to accelerate, even when fans run at max they cant help cpu because of poor heat transfer. But this is a solvable problem.
    The problem with missing vrm radiator for videocard is DANGEROUS. You cant apply load to videocard because it will die.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay good, just wanted to be sure it's not just me.

7. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is ventilation on the back of the GPU, but the heatsinks are totally needed on the RTX 2080.

[​IMG]

The problem with Dell customer service is that they are not freaks that know everything of this device, and they only will tell you what the computer they have will show them. Reply to a representative by email and send him this picture, and picture about burned out RTX 2080s.

[​IMG]

If they still don't want to listen to you, well, guess they earned a burned out A51m.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there is NO ventilation. because there are NO holes. Its just decorative grille without holes. Seems like you dont have area-51m.

What representative? I replied to their dell-community forum, they asked servce id of my laptop, checked it and answered like: "Thats ok. We dont have this vrm radiators as separate upgrade so rtx2080 does not need it. Just let it become fried. Do you have any more questions?"

9. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The grille is real. The fans suck air thought the top as well from the bottom.

[​IMG]

The Dell community forum is not the way to go. You need to talk to a representative through the support phone number.

I would also suggest you calm down. I'm not whom you should pay of your frustration with.

10. garyfl

garyfl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yikes, where do I begin? I'm about to document my experience with Dell from start to ... not even close to finished yet. All facts, no fiction, no exaggeration, I will time stamp all relevant events.

March 2019 I buy an Alienware machine for my business - Alienware 51m - The reason being it has desktop parts inside a portable laptop which I can carry around in a bag, I was sold. On the phone, I asked the sales advisor how I could make it slightly cheaper and he mentioned some adjustments to warranty but wasn't clear. Laptop ordered.

Once the laptop arrived it was fine for around 1 month but started to show some signs of issues. CPU would reach 100.c would throttle below the minimum base clock (9900k) and I wasn't able to carry out the purpose of my job - Freelance 3d Animator and owner of a large online marketplace.

I tried to get Dell to replace or fix the machine in my home but it turned out the sale advisor had downgraded my warranty to depot warranty. This meant waiting on my machine to be sent off which would take 3 weeks ( death sentence to my job) I pleaded but to no avail. Asked for a goodwill fix, Even asked for a fee to fix but was told I had to upgrade my warranty which would cost an additional £300 or I could send it back and wait 3 weeks. Bare in mind I saved approx £30 off the base price for the downgrade in warranty. Pleaded again no avail. I was given 2 options, send it back and wait or deal with it. Because of the nature of my business, I dealt with it.

Several months passed not being able to do much, laptop constantly overheating, GPU was taking 5x longer than normal to render frames in Blender (Application I use) The screen developed a stuck pixel. Alienware's policy states a zero-tolerance on stuck pixels so I pushed for a repair in my home and my argument was that I had suffered for months with an overheating laptop and now had a stuck pixel, could they please just fix it. I was given 1 option, send it back and wait 3 weeks. After a lot of pleading, they agreed to give me a refund.

8th of October 2019 I was notified that the refund had been initiated.

I replaced my machine with capital funds, which the refund would cover and also replace my bank account.

10 working days later, no refund.

Contacted Dell and was told there was a glitch ( I had to find this out myself)

I notified Dell they were in breach of contract on the 23rd of October 2019 and had 14 days to give me back my refund.

Was told the refund was initiated again on the 23rd October 2019

It is now 9 working days later and no refund. In 1 days time, they will have breached the time I gave them to reasonably give me back my refund.

I have contacted Dell UK yesterday (16:00 04/11/2019) and they informed me there is a delay on the refund... How can there be a delay a 2nd time?!

I am now in a really awful situation where once the rent goes out of my bank tonight I will be left with £19 in my bank account. They owe me almost £3000 and if they had given it back to me in a timely manner this would not even be an issue.

I do not know what to do now, I am not in a financial position to be able to afford to sue them even though I was told by the Citizens Advice Bureau I could effectively sue for loss of earnings amongst other things due to the contract breach.

They have not only breached that but are about to breach the time given to them to reasonable give me back the money when I informed them.

Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox, jclausius and 2 others like this.