*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Bios v1.62
    upload_2019-11-4_18-58-40.png
    I doub't it. More the ODM. Dell does exactly the same with their XPS models.
    upload_2019-11-4_19-1-12.png
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/ASUS-...iew-A-high-end-old-school-gamer.436944.0.html

upload_2019-11-4_19-7-28.png
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT76-9SG-Laptop-Review-The-Titan-of-Gaming-Laptops.425043.0.html
    Yeah, on it's way to hardware heaven.

Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  2. Stephen1892

Stephen1892 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking to replace my msi gt73vr 7rf with a a51m with a rtx2080. I want a laptop that plays the latest games with performance to spare. I just want a simple to use laptop that's going to run as it should. After reading about so much thermal throttling would you recommend this laptop. I will only be gaming.
    I've never really tweaked laptops I just expect them to run with the performance you pay for.

So with the latest bios updates and such is this worth the 3.7k I'm going to spend?

Any user reviews or input would be greatly appreciated as it's a lot of money and a decent investment for me which I hope will last 2 to 3 years

Thank you

REAN1MAT0R likes this.
  3. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is going back due to the throttling. I also specced a more powerful Aurora with monitor for less than the price. So for me it wasn’t worth it. I also noticed done light bleed at the bottom of the screen. As others have been able to tweak it to work I would say it could be what you want but will take some alterations from standard

You can always return it if it really isn’t what you want

oh, you should also easily be able to get at least 15% discount if you haven’t already.

4. TheChadd

TheChadd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone encountered an issue where you are unable to scroll with the track pad inside the Windows Start Menu?

If I reinstall the trackpad driver through Device Manager (update driver, "browse my computer for driver software", "let me pick from a list of available". It then lists 4 drivers, I can select either of the 19.5.17.11 or 19.5.17.13 version driver).

Once the driver is reinstalled I can scroll inside the Windows Start Menu again, but as soon as I restart or shut down and boot up again, the trackpad scroll stops working. I have to repeat the driver reinstall to fix it, which means its only a temporary fix.

Also, when the trackpad scroll isnt working, If I try and scroll in the windows start mentu, when I try and scroll up it inserts a "9", if I scroll down it inserts a "3" into the search box. Bizzare.

Someone must have encountered this same issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup! Not driver related, this is actually caused by Tobii (as silly as that may sound, I was amazed and disappointed...)

Go into Tobii and it’s one of the experience/mouse options, once you turn it off (try each one, one at a time, to determine which is causing it) you’ll be able to scroll the start menu.

Amazingly stupid if you ask me... lol.

You did right by asking. It took me a while to figure out.

Let me know if this works!

Fire Tiger and TheChadd like this.
  6. TheChadd

TheChadd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!!

That worked. It was ""Scroll at gaze" that was causing the problem.
    I dont think I would ever have thought to check Tobii.

Much appreciated! :)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone else hear their motherboard make very faint sounds when it's quiet? Not coil whine or fans or anything like that. Reminds me of an old computer making light buzzing noises, but it's super quiet. Pretty much any other sound drowns it out (even my mouse clicking). Maybe the reason I can hear it is because literally in front of my face compared to a desktop on the ground. Sounds like it could be coming from the back, maybe PSU? It still makes the sound when unplugged, but its less frequent and quieter.

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Getting some very satisfying results here on my HP with the Alienware Area 51m Vbios after a CASUAL +1400MHz overclock on the VRAM, samsung really is the best :D:D:

[​IMG]

9. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -----
    Don't know if it still happens but you can also fix the screen dimming after a short time of inactivity (like 10 seconds) in those same settings. Use to drive me nuts. Personally I've had Tobii disabled from day one.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. elflegolas

elflegolas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi
    I’m new here, can you explain a bit more on the short forms?
    LM? IHS? I figured hs should be heatsink but the rest I have no clue at all
    I just ordered my 9900k+2080m
    And ordered gc thermal pads and other compound as well
    But starting to worry because so many people here said their machine can’t handle the heat?
    I got my Alienware m17r2 for like 7years, this one probably I will have to use 5 years as well so would really want it to last...

pathfindercod and Fire Tiger like this.