*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's an idea, is there a calibration profile around that I can apply to my AUO to make it warmer? Always preferred the warmer look anyway. Currently it is stock profile.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what is your final decision: stock lapped ihs or rickit cool custom ihs?

I did not see any story about removing retention bracket for using rockit cool ihs. I hope it will be ok with lapped die, this custom ihs and retention bracket. I use direct die to waterblock contact with my 7940X and it may cause some issues. Dont want to have this complexities with laptop.
    Seems like I have to find proper washers and screw for good pressure.

I will try to measure it before install. But for sure rockit guys had to keep in mind that some guys using ek fullcover waterblocks for their motherboards and even with custom ihs they must have same cpu height to have contact with it

4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now this IS something worth upgrading the laptop for! 4K, 120Hz, and as we have learned to expect from AUO, and most importantly, 100% AdobeRGB !

Are we sure it even fits inside the A51 - remember the extra thin bezels? May be the NEXT Alienware 17 model?

5. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually about 10-20 fps in PUBG according to youtube videos

6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Every review with the CMN175D measures this screen at 350 to 400 nits. It’s definitely brighter no matter what color profile is set over the LG and AUO. I set my colors to be very cool like the LG and it’s so bright I need to turn it down. The other panels were too dim and I was wishing for more luminance. Many spec sheets also list this panel at 355+ nits. The LG and AUO always sit below 300 nits in every review test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

8. jc_denton

jc_denton P870TM1-SKYLINE

Reputations:
    I was forced to remove it for the Clevo, as the stock 9th gen IHS was too low and the heatsink was resting on the retention bracket instead. I also tested it with a copper IHS (non-rockit) and the contact was worse due to increased surface area of the IHS, when paired with a slightly warped heatsnik.

I'm currently having a custom IHS cnc machined, so that it would allow me to remount the retention mechanism.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. done12many2

done12many2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My local Micro Center has an open box Area 51m for $2519, which I've reserved and is ready to pick up. It's listed as having a 9900k, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080, 1tb SSD, and has a 144hz panel with Tobii Eye Tracking.

Anything specific that you guys recommend that I look for?

It doesn't specifically state G-Sync. Does the panel described above generally include G-Sync?

I was also considering grabbing one of the newly released 9900ks chips since they have them in stock. I figured since they are binned by Intel, I may be able to push slightly higher clocks at the same comparable temps to the 9900k.

Any input would be appreciated.

10. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems like a really good deal! The monitors listed are either G-sync or non-G-sync so I guess you're getting the non-G-sync panel. There is 4 to be specific 60hz g-sync / 144hz g-sync or 60hz non g-sync/ 144hz non g-sync. All comes with Tobii