*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay so I tried running a system restore, which I had from a windows update of 2 days ago (If I remember correctly windows udpate did install bios 1.7.3 on its own)

Suddenly my gpu works again. It is recognized again, despite it said system restore failled. But some stuff is not working correctly. Chrome didn't start up. I had to reinstall it. Gefore experience doesn't boot.
    But at least the GPU seems to be working now. VERY weird, buy I'm very skeptical now, and don't know what I should do.
    And I want to know what else isn't right on my pc right now.
    Damn, what a mess.

EDIT: Anyone knows, what actually happened? I just tried running a game it runs fine. Due to the system restore the GPU driver is actually back on the older version. I'm so confused and a little scared right now.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me thinks there has been an sneaky update either from a Dell software or windows update. Either that or your undervolt is good.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Disable the GPU OC on Command center. This way temperature will rise to 74°C and stay there without downclocking.

Really, undervolting the GPU is the way to go, otherwise there is no actual gain.

I'm kind of considering in doing an A51m OC/UV guide, there is alot of hidden performance in this device, and I'm tired of people being disappointed with the device or seeing them struggle.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2019
  3. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's crazy.... So you are right up to date again, and everything is working?

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, DDU will still work. Brother @pathfindercod is correct. DDU will remove all traces of drivers, GeFarts Experience and clean out all of the NVIDIA registry entries even if no GPU is installed. It will do that for Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and audio drivers.

I cringe every time I hear about people allowing the Redmond Retards to install a firmware update. That's just a huge no-no. If the BIOS changed any hardware IDs (which can easily happen) and the newest NVIDIA drivers have not been updated (based on communication from Dell/Alienware to NVIDIA that absolutely has to occur) you would have to use older drivers until Dell tells NVIDIA about the new hardware ID and they release the next driver to include that new hardware ID or do an INF mod for it to find your GPU during the driver installation.

I'm guessing the BIOS update is what triggered it. Best to disable that crap feature in the BIOS. Leaving it enabled is foolish, and this might be a good example of why it's not smart to allow automatic firmware updates. If everything is working correctly, applying any firmware update is a crap shoot that almost always isn't worth doing. If you're going to do it, wait and let others roll the dice and see if their stuff gets screwed up first. Don't be a guinea pig for Micro$lop, Dell or any other tech vendor. Life will be better and you'll have fewer messes to deal with. Always best for you to decide what happens next rather than letting someone else decide that for you. They don't care what happens... they just like playing god.

Unfortunately, any and all automatic updates that come from the Micro$lop Catalog need to be manually controlled and approached with great caution because they screw up their own crap often enough even without any firmware involvement. Letting the Redmond Retards automatically push updates to anything willy-nilly is just begging for trouble, and it's not a question of if, just matter of when, something is going to get messed up.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    alberty, Papusan and pathfindercod like this.
  5. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I’m doing a first tear down of this beast, and the wires to the wireless card became unattached in the process. The screw holding the card in is tight as hell and is stripping when so try to take it out. Any thoughts? Did I just ruin the wireless card? Any help with getting this screw out?

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Try a rubber band.

Tim V., jclausius, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.
  7. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like I lucked out, as far as I can tell this is the magic 1.5.0 BIOS before they started crippling the machine? Gotta make sure I’m on 1.3.2 Vbios I believe. Since I’m new to this I’m glad I might not have to deal with BIOS changes. Thank god.

Now I’m proceeding through software, what apps in particular to uninstall and what I should look to get?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

That would be nice. Im running - 100 core offset for the 9700k. how much do you undervolt your 2080? Im familiar with programs to clock/underclock gpu aswell

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No the GPU version DID revert with the system restore despite it gave an error message at the end saying it failed.
    So I'm running on not the latest but the previous version of the nvidia drivers.

Is this perhaps related to the new DCH drivers? And somehow the updater in Geforce Experiance messing up?

10. Ale380

Ale380 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys now i have really bad thermal throttling since a few days or so. Gpu Z says that's due to Power throttling. Were is this comin from? I noticed that on the alienware command center the GPU power limit is at 0% and i cannot change it..any info on that?

Edit: Even tho i moved the thermal throttle limit at 85°, seems that throttling happens at 78°.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019