*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Because our laptops have G-SYNC and are wired directly to the internal GPU, we are stuck using external displays with the graphics amplifier.

The amplifier is only useful if you decide to use external displays. I mean you could of course add one for video editing like me or macOS usage or even a Quadro for CAD, but all of that will be done on an external GPU.

ONLY way to use the external GPU internally would be if the game supported mGPU in DX12 mode, which allows you to use any mix of GPUs.

jclausius and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. tito37

tito37 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, my certified refurbished Area 51M is arriving tomorrow! Super excited, got a fairly barebones 8700 + 2080 model. Figured I can’t change the screen, color, GPU (for now), and other things so I’d get the best in those things, upgrade elsewhere over time. This will be my first Windows computer in several years, if someone here would be willing to help me over DMs once in a while with my questions, I’d really appreciate it. I’ve done a lot of research but it’s one thing to watch videos and read forums, another to actually do things.

Fire Tiger and larkdrawde like this.
  3. sparrow21

sparrow21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. Can I still upgrade the internal gpu then? Swap out the 2060 for something more powerful someday and retain the built in gsync screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Yes, I'd go with 2080. However, as of right now the DGFF 2080 isn't available for sale. You can try contacting dell support and see if they would sell you one or tweet at Umar and see if he can do something.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, sorry to ask but I wasn't able to find the post, could someone post a link to "how to get the Alienware head in the system after a clean OS instal" thing ? That would be appreciated ;)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @IXVIXXII I think this is what you are looking for.

7. Pezzza

Pezzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Today I noticed something strange with my area 51m, the GPU (2080) power never exceeds 177 Watt while 200W (1.0.0.3) vbios is installed. This result in low GPU usage in games / bench. The performance drop isn't huge but still I don't understand. I am using 1.5.0 BIOS and the temp never reach 70 so I guess no throttling issue here.

Thanks for your help

8. larkdrawde

larkdrawde Newbie

Reputations:
    what do you guys re-install after a fresh windows installation? i mean apart from the ones listed on ultra male's guide? do i need the aw command center?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have AWCC installed to control the fans. I have most of the apps mentioned in that guide along with ThrottleStop, some of the benchmark apps and then the host of launchers needed these days for games.

larkdrawde likes this.
  10. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are your DDR4s really 2666mhz Fire Tiger?

Fire Tiger likes this.