*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. bmad786

bmad786 Newbie

Reputations:
    Pointless experiment alert! Anyway I'm building a pc for a friend. So I thought I'd test his nice new 2080ti in my graphics amplifier I've never opened from years ago. My 51m has a 2080 in it and 9700k. I had limited time so only ran the test once. The CPU is not overclocked and the 2080ti is stock albeit a fancy evga XC variant. Hopefully the results are posted correctly at the bottom of this. Honestly I wasn't expecting a huge difference but I'm well impressed with the amplifier. It's not a million miles off a 2080ti in a full on desktop. The laptop runs much quieter too obviously not now cooling the GPU. Bit of a shame the 2080ti are so bloody expensive still otherwise I'd be tempted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. bmad786

bmad786 Newbie

Reputations:
    Right, the images aren't showing up. What have I done wrong?? Anyway the 2080 in the 51m got 9789. The 2080ti got 12089. Timespy at 1440p on external monitor. I'll try and sort the images. Sorry!!

3. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you copy pasted the imgur link. You want to press "get shareable links" and copy the BBcode (forums), it includes the img prefix.

Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm don't really have to time to use it, and by the time I will have time to use it, I might as well have standard rig with a big curved lovely monitor.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. larkdrawde

larkdrawde Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

so ive bought a refurbed area 51m with rtx 2080 and noticed that it only has a non gsync 60hz panel.. is it possible to use a 144hz gsync enabled monitor with this and which port do i use?

also is it possible to swap the panel to a gsync one down the road?

6. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes on the monitor. I don't know about the panel swap because the panels on the a51m are much more solid and they don't seem to come apart easily. You would probably have to end up buying a whole other panel that has the features you want and replacing the whole thing.

Biker Gremling and larkdrawde like this.
  7. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good news the laptop is back, new unit, just opened to swap disks and check some stuff about work, quick things I notice is this one brought a sk hynix ssd and memory while my first unit is with all Toshiba, other thing is the panel have some bleeding compared to my first unit that was extremely subtle, so I guess this days gonna pass making a frankestein from the good parts.

overall it feels good to run again everything fast in a laptop like this lol.

8. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. larkdrawde

larkdrawde Newbie

Reputations:
    what did you install/check first when you got your area 51m? I got a refurb one and want to check if i got a good unit.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you plan to change the panels keep in mind the new Mei Chei (unsure on spelling) will lose its G-Sync ability if you prefer the earlier BIOS revisions (1.5.0 / 1.3.2 etc.).

Let us know how it goes and how the temps are etc. once you've applied the new paste.

I done a complete re-install of Windows 10 and followed @Ultra Male guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-clean-installation-guide.781178/.

Then I installed ThrottleShop and messed about with overclocking and undervolting whilst gaming in between changes to see monitor stability.