*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe it is done through the iCloud, as all your Apple devices are logged in to the iCloud and backup photos and other stuff and obviously, also communicate. Big Brother if you ask me. With Google/Gmail/Google drive it is almost the same.

Biker Gremling and Spartan like this.
  2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    some sneaky firmware updated itself this morning, can't figure out what it is??, certainly wasn't BIOS, I just checked and its still on 1.5.0

Attached Files:

3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    yeah ignore it, it's nothing.

If your BIOS was older, then when you reboot you will see it updating the BIOS automatically like a VIRUS

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Most likely firmware for ssd. Dell prefer push out firmware via Win Update. A Ticking Bomb because firmware flashing can go wrong. Always have backup of everything you care about.
    [​IMG]
    Remember the flawed firmware for Samsung Pro? Fun when it happens and you haven't done your backup:D Or get lower performance vs. before. Yeah, ignore it:biggrin:

jclausius, Mr. Fox, jc_denton and 2 others like this.
  5. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't played on my 51M for quite some time now. No real issues with it anymore, but I've grown tired of it, I'll see if I can sell it and may I'll build a gaming rig in small form factor.

HaloGod2012 likes this.
  6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why are you tired of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Did you disable hardware related windows updates and driver updates? Do that before you allow any updates to be installed in your system. That should take care of this annoyance.

DreDre and jclausius like this.
  8. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I disabled this.

[​IMG]

However, in the lastest Windows build, there is only Yes or No. The "never install driver software from WU'" option isn't here anymore, and I'm not sure to what extent it changes regarding BIOS updates through WU.

I finally managed to force downgrade the BIOS by checking this to No and I also re flashed the 1.5.0 over a first BIOS flash via USB. Not sure what made Windows stopped force updating...

Is your "hardware related windows updates" option something else than the option I attached here ?

jclausius and YD Corp like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Applying any firmware update from Dell/Alienware is a massive risk that carries an abnormally high chance of impairing performance or damaging a system that is otherwise functioning properly. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies more to their products than any brand I have seen before. If it ain't already broke, there's a really good chance that it might be after you update a Dell computer's firmware. Using proprietary firmware on SSDs and HDDs that basically ruins them compared to the otherwise identical generic consumer equivalent is beyond stupid... it's unethical. And, there's no excuse for that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes this is it. As long as you keep this disabled, there shouldn't be any problem.

jclausius likes this.