*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, very interested information. In the beginning, I thought the whole surface of the plastic part touch the heatsink, caused the back cover cannot close properly. Thanks for your pictures, I can understand the plastic surface collides on the edge of the heatsink. By placing the heatsink near the SSD's port, maybe you can avoid my issue.

2. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone have a positive experience with Dells onsite techs? They want to replace my "sound board" as the headphone jack only plays left channel (unless i use a headpone with a Mike...then it works).

I have reservations....this seems like high risk for a small issue.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wasn't unhappy with mine, but wasn't overjoyed either.

He got the job done albeit a bit too heavy handed for my liking. I also had to provide pointers in taking the 'tron' panel off as he was trying to lift the clips without having removed the screws on the back IO panel. Outside of that it was pretty much straightforward.

Spartan likes this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone else have issues with Geforce Experience?

I personally don't, and upgrade every gpu driver with it, without a single issue.

My wife's on the other hand is a different story.

Everytime she downloads geforce experience her frames drop from about 200 to 40. I think its upscaling the game resolution or something. I tried changing the settings for this, but it never solves it. As soon as she uninstalled geforce, it works flawlessly.

Anyone have a fix for this besides not using geforce?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It depends. For me, every fix that was diagnosed was taken care of in 5 days or less. I didn't get my device replaced obviously because in case of macbooks, all the devices are duds when you speak graphics performance wise so you don't care how "fast" the new one is. But in case of proper desktop replacements like this one, I do care about my GPU and wouldn't want a dud at my hands. It depends upon how you approach things and who you contact. If you solely rely on technical support in your region then good luck! I would strongly suggest getting in direct contact with alienware tech support on twitter or @DellCares.

There is your problem. I suspect your heat sink is not making perfect contact because if you tighten the screw all the way and the heat sink starts bending, you won't be able to snug it up good enough for the thermal pad to get compressed enough so it can take the heat away. May be try changing the slot of your nvme drive. Slot 2 generally doesn't have this flexing problem. I have seen this heat sink bending issue only on slot 1 so far.

carlodelmazo and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Disable Whisper Mode (Nvidia’s laptop only frame limiter) in GFE. Or change the FPS limit in the NVCP for each game she plays (very bottom setting in game profiles). The default is usually 40 so that’s a dead giveaway it’s probably that.

7. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yeah you are right, I not gonna lie, when started to act funky I should have just searched and fixed the problem by myself, or wait until Monday to take it to my lab and have help of my colleagues sorted out, part of myself want to go back and don’t do it tho, was Sunday and didn’t wanted to solve this by myself and thought “well I live in London and I got premium support this should be finished in a phone call or at least as much tomorrow, this people should probably know about this bug as is one of their flagships”, if was acting funky updating on top the Bios would be the last thing I would do but pfff I guess I was tired that day and let myself go with the flow.

yeah I pm’d dellcares in Twitter they just said the same laptop being build and sending me new one, so should be here soon.

it’s ok, I lost some valued time but at least the files and everything is safe and everything is as well backed up in the cloud (I’m a maniac about that so always worried about this scenario), haha quite happy tbh I didn’t lose any file.

S.K and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    When you get your new machine, (if I were you in your place, this is what I'd do) take the faulty one apart and pull out both the CPU and GPU and check them thoroughly in terms of performance and peak temperatures and keep the ones that perform better and stay cooler. ;)

c69k, jclausius and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    not gonna lie but was thinking exactly the same, I’m glad that wasn’t the only one hahaha, I forgot about the gpu now you mention it but yes as I was mainly thinking about the 9900k as it usually runs hot xD

does anyone who used phobya nanogrease extreme 3.5g over can maybe give an approximation if it would be enough quantity? Let’s say gpu+cpu, I guess a minimum of 4 times, once with new cpu + new gpu, then old cpu + old gpu, and repeat just to be sure.

I was thinking maybe is good to order more in case I run out of it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger, S.K and jclausius like this.
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I'll have her try this tonight and see if it solves the issue.