*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 75C throttle can be avoided with GPUTweak2, but it'll still hard throttle at 80C via the (newest) BIOS. I'm currently using the 1.73 BIOS and 200W VBIOS and am totally fine with them.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suppose there is always a risk brother, so far so good. Hopefully if it does happen its when there is a new revision and this model is obsolete aha.

I only done the Cinebench R15 tests on various overclocks and undervolts:

Stock = 1489
    x49 at -125mV = 1588
    x50 at -125mV = 1575 (noticed the power limit throttling)
    x50 at -100mV = 1614
    x51 at -90mV = 1639
    x51 at -80mV = 1630

Based on the above just stuck with x51 at -90mV. No doubt there is more to be done to improve it.

Yeah I was envious of your x52 ability :(, I did try x52 at stock voltages, it sticks but after about 30-60 seconds the machine just freezes up.

x51 looks like my absolute limit unfortunately and even then the benchmarks are that impressive.

I will definitely monitor those values thank you for the insight and response.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for those, I had only been monitoring the Core Power Limit Exceeded stats. I'll definitely widen my monitoring and perhaps give it another go. Hard work this overclocking, gone are the days I just turned it on and got on with it as it was.

Yeah I have that application downloaded but haven't yet messed with it. I haven't noticed a great deal of throttling from the GPU in the games I've played so far (Witcher 3, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, Civilisation 5 and Total War). I am running the same BIOS and vBIOS as you.

Spartan and Rei Fukai like this.
  3. lukenathan

lukenathan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ive been having an issue with my area51m in that if i idle for a few minutes all of the inputs stop working; eg: usb mouse, the inbuilt keyboard. only the built in trackpad works and i have to restart the laptop to return functionality. at first i thought it was the tobbi eye trackers and i disabled it and it seemed to stop happening but windows update occured and its happening again.

Does anyone have the same issue or any good suggestions on fixes? ive tried reinstalling windows, disabling tobii. reinstalling drivers etc to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Have you checked the 'Advanced Options' within your Power Options.. I found a few things in there like USB inputs being turned off etc. I'm not on the laptop just now. But go through all the drop downs within there and you might find things being disabled that you don't actually want or need disabled. The inbuilt keyboard turning off is a strange one though, not sure I've seen that.

5. lukenathan

lukenathan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ive checked there and disabled any settings related to usb sleep etc. thanks anyway

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Fire Tiger

Reputations:
    Does the inbuilt keyboard show in the device manager? Does the properties show the power management tab? I don't know if I'm clutching at straws here just trying to think of all options. Failing that get straight onto Dell and see if they can help.

Spartan likes this.
  7. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, today my screen has started doing black flickering when I run G-Sync. Does anyone know how to fix this? Not much of a point of a G-Sync monitor if you can't run G-Sync

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Maybe try using a different nVidia driver

9. Fabietto

Fabietto Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased area51m with only 250gb and then I installed 970 pro 512gb + 970 evo plus 1 tb + ssd 850 pro that I had at home and in my case there was not only the second thermal pad m.2 but the hard disk cage / ssd was present.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried using the latest nVidia driver from Dell instead of nVidia directly, but didn't work. Today I'm going to try a fresh windows install.

EDIT SOLVED: Turns out that this is a BIOS issue, installed version 1.7.3 back and G-sync works properly now.

Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-area-51m-owners-lounge.826831/page-1395

Yes, my A51m did include the 2.5 cage and a heatsink for the SSD as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.