*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could have saved yourself the trouble of changing the 9900K if you wanted a 9700K, by merely disabling Hyper Threading, with the bonus of having increased L3 cache for your new '9700K' also. i.e. 16MB L3 vs 12MB L3 for your 8 cores.

Cache is king.

pathfindercod and Spartan like this.
  2. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used the 9900K in my desktop instead under a custom loop, it’s doing much better there than in this 51m lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AlexIonita

AlexIonita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone :)
    I recently upgraded my ram from 32GB to 64GB but it doesn t seem to accept the new ram.
    The question for you guys is:
    1) why aren t the new rams compatible ? I really checked all specs before ordering it ?
    2) what ram do you recommend in order to be compatible with the one that s already installed (preferable ram from amazon) ?.
    [​IMG]

3) What is the role of the aluminium foil on the back plate case of the laptop ? asking because there was a small metal thing at the end of the screw that came off after I opened the case and I didn t put it back because I was afraid it will come off and go on the motherboard. Is it ok to just close the case without this metal thing that seemed to stay on the screw ?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The c clip is suppose to stay on the screw, that’s what makes it “captive”. There should be several screw on the backplate that has c clips to told the screws in when you pull the bottom cover off.

5. AlexIonita

Reputations:
    Since it s not staying...it s ok if I did not put it there anymore ? the backplate is closing perfectly without it anyways...

6. AlexIonita

Reputations:
    Hello, this are the spec for the original memory on the laptop....what do you guys this should be a compatible ram memory to make the upgrade with - amazon preferable:
    [​IMG]

7. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, not sure if I’m asking this in the right place. I bought the i9-9900, 32gb ram and RTX 2080. Looking for a nice vr headset. Anyone running the Valve Index on their Area 51?

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I recommend 1.5.0 for people on 1.6.2 to 1.7.3 BIOS that want to downgrade. The ME was updated twice at least from 1.3.2 to 1.7.3 maybe even more so it's safer to downgrade to 1.5.0 and I've already tried 1.7.3 to 1.5.0 successfully. From my testing 1.5.0 and 1.3.2 perform identically.

Latest one from Dell is the same as latest one from nVidia.

It SHOULD work? Never heard of the brand before though. Maybe try one from a more known brand such as G.SKILL, Corsair, Kingston, etc.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Same thing happened to me. I left it off and noissues yet

10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That screw was supposed to not get screwed off completely. This metal part just holds it from the other side so it doesn't fall off once the panel is removed.

Edit: I see it's already been answered. Same thing with the screw happened to me on Alienware 17 R4, should have checked the manual first.