*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes and it works fine.

pathfindercod and Papusan like this.
  2. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep. Just stay at bios 1.5.0 to avoid this throttling mess. Experimented today with 1.7.3. The same mess as with all bioses after 1.5.0 except thermal throttle point is at 79C and when it kicks in games are at unplayable fps till the video card reaches 50c again. Back to 1.5.0 for me till this machine (except the look of it) blows up. I guess this was my last Alienware... Had to learn it the hard way...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm on 1.3.2, best BIOS for this laptop.

pathfindercod and bsch3r like this.
  4. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've updated my own Area-51M laptop to the latest versions of both VBIOS & System BIOS, mainly because whenever throttling with the GPU does occur, and that's not very often since the fans do so well with the excellent cooling, it doesn't seem to affect framerate performance in games at all, at least from what I've been seeing so far. Undervolting both the CPU and GPU probably helped with keeping the temps low, and zero throttling. I also prefer to have the latest bug fixes, and whatever else has been fixed or added with the new firmwares. Looking forward to future BIOS & VBIOS firmwares.

pathfindercod likes this.
  5. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can see why you and others get upset. But I personally don't want my laptop running that hot anyway. Half the time I only use one PSU (330W) and on the balanced fan profile it stays pretty quiet and still gets 100+ FPS in most games (like Farycry 5).

pathfindercod likes this.
  6. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have any throttling problems after I undervolted the CPU with the voltage set to 1.17 and a -100mv undervolt on top.
    My gpu is set to a 925mv curve at 1920mhz.
    This gets my gpu close to that throttle point of 79c on some games but usually stays around 72-73c

Enkeixpress and Biker Gremling like this.
  7. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it true that dell doesn’t offer replacement within the first 30 days of purchasing new laptop? I got the laptop a week ago. It was overheating, I called dell but the agent told me it’s ok and continue testing the laptop. Just playing NFS for 1 hour, the laptop shutdown and no turning on anymore. After diagnostics told me they send a technician to replace the motherboard OR return the laptop and order another one. I want a replacement, who should I contact can help me with this?

8. arvinsko08

arvinsko08 Newbie

Reputations:
    i'm on bios 1.5.0 and vbios 1.0.0.3, gpu max temp 76C (though it was limited by ACC 75C and i dont encounter problem with this settings). if i set ACC limiter to 85C or disable it reaches 86C and games throttles or crash esp GTA V. is it weird that gpu temps reach whatever u set in ACC? or it it normal to reach 86C or more on this machine even with fan at full speed?

9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clear cut case of immediate refund. Maybe you ought to consider this option?

nader_rizk2003 likes this.
  10. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you explain plz? What is immediate refund?