*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I knew that once, then I didn't. Thanks for the refresher. Comes with getting old...

alaskajoel likes this.
  2. DrChips

DrChips Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got this config exactly also. Then pulled the 9700 out and put a retail 9900K in. It was cheaper to do it this way than to order the 9900K in the machine, especially after selling off the 9700.

I did benchmark both, and have mixed feelings. The 9900K might as well not have a K, attempts to overclock just result in throttling. It's certainly faster especially in productivity stuff which I use a lot, but for gaming I'd say you're on the money... the 9700 will do you just fine.

Ludwig Tornheden likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you recommend deleting the old driver before running through these new ones bro?

Pudge and Spartan like this.
  4. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I know myself I will do exactly the same in a few months since I always want to push the limits. There are no tests what so ever with 9700 Non K, or atleast I have not found them.(1 video comparing k vs non k on youtube) Im still hoping they batched out of the Non Ks and puts a K in my area51m, thats what they did with one of my friends ordering the Non K 9900. Thanks for your answer I will mostly be using it for gaming so it feels great that it will do its job out of the box.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope this is all stock from the dell factory with stock paste. I only use this for gaming and benchmarking in 3dmark as well as database/web development for work. If the overclock can handle a cpu intensive game for a few hours, it’s stable enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Off-course

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    An update for anyone that was interested. I got a phone call from dell/Alienware today telling me that the part I called about was being shipped to me ( vrm heatsink is what I needed since mine didn't ship with it on my rtx2080)

We will see what it is when I receive it. The part number I was given is 2wyx4. Hopefully that's what I need and although I'm glad they finally came through ( hopefully) I'm very disappointed that I didn't at least get an apology for the stressful 4 hrs I spent trying to convince them the heatsink existed. Yes I was told the part I was referring to did not exist. ( Again hopefully).

Anyways will update on what I actually receive in the mail when it comes in.

8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good news, did you not have any heatsink at all?

DaMafiaGamer and Spartan like this.
  9. arvinsko08

arvinsko08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi anyone using the latest nvidia driver from nvidia website too rather than that dell provided on their site?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope no heatsink on the underside vrms at all. Found out when I was going to replace the thermal pads.