*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If a thin and light is getting a Quadro RTX 6000, I don't see why nVidia isn't allowing companies like Clevo & AW to put it in their flagships. I hope this allows them to finally bring a proper full chip to laptops. The 480M wasn't exactly fully enabled but was the closest we got from a full on die from the high end desktop.

Vasudev and bsch3r like this.
  2. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I fear Quadro RTX 6000 gpu boards will - if at all - be not available for a reasonable price. A mobile 2080 Ti would be great. Maybe in the 51M R2, but I fear there will be some hiatus in development at Alienware after Azor left. I expect rather something from Asus with a similar heat think design than the professional model at a rather high price tag.

3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Now that I have my system sorted out, and the worst if the house construction past I had time to play a bit. A few thoughts,

The laptop is well designed to work in.

The screen is very nice. If you find it "washed out" check brightness....mine was at 100%.

The audio is ok Not awesome, not horrid. Not sure I like the command center Audio app.

Played witcher 3 on ultra for 2 hours today. No throttling. I forget to get system temps, but it was much cooler then my sons m15.

The duel power is a PITA on a lapboard. I know...its not really for your lap.

And really. .. why do we have straight power connects instead of right angles? Really?!?!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Checked Cpu Package Power while it run at 100C with that low Cpu utilization? Use Hwinfo64

-------------------------------

Probably a new one near end of life...

Area51m black screen @ power on & external monitor flashing issues

I have a 2.5 mo old Area51m i9 with the NVIDA 2080 graphics card. I got this beastie mostly for work and occasional gaming. I have been having more and more concerning issues :'(

Arrrrbol and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just ran another TV show playback streamed from the web and fans decreased noise and temps stable at 40degrees?

6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So finally, my great ride came to an end. My 2nd generation RTX 2080 GPU died today. And when I say the "GPU", I mean the GPU itself and not any of the power circuitry etc. It is artifacting and rebooting at random. I will be getting a replacement soon. The way it died is very similar to how one of my Strix 1080TIs died back in the day, which leads me to an opinion that the nvidia chip itself has died. All the other components look fine. Although it withstood the torment for quite a long time and I should give it some props for holding up this long! :p
    @Donald@HIDevolution
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why are you downgrading the bios in tag?

Anyone else run NOX for android play?
    It was working fine until yesterday it went KPUT and BSOD my Area 51m???????

Tried another link and seems the website is causing the spike in CPU temp...is it Windows 10 or the hardware code?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thankfully its not BGA, so you can simply replace it. Hope you get a replacement soon.

Spartan, Vasudev, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Not really, because the chip died internally. Not much the outer hardware could do to protect it internally. It was a highly undervolted setup btw.