*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's still pretty good, so maybe 5-7 degrees for someone without LM. Did it fit alright under the plastic cover? How thick was it? Maybe I'll try something similar ;)

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    What's your max? With Phobya NG Extreme I am getting a peak of 76 degrees on my GPU that only improved to 75 with LM which is why I no longer run LM on my machine. I even have my vram overclocked to 7500 MHz at all times. No mounting pressure mods done because my temps are already pretty darn good for me.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a 125MHz GPU oc and 250 MHz oc on vram. I up to now did not experiment with gpu undervolting. My gpu max temp is 78C when playing Control for hours and fans on max. Before the mod gpu temp would go up to 85C.
    The plastic cover does not fit exactly, it gets tight but it's OK. And the good thing is it puts pressure on the additional heatpipe pushing it against the original ones. The additional heatpipe I used from another project and don't really remember where I bought it from has a height of 3 mm.

Gesendet von meinem EVR-L29 mit Tapatalk

GerhardK likes this.
  4. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm currently watching a TV Series show in one window, 8 tabs open(one playing youtube at 144p) and Alienware Command Centre open and my CPU 4.69 is 100 degrees at 40% usage? Stock with Thermal performance and High performance power ON

Why am I hitting 100 degrees with no overclock or undervolting?

I'm sitting it on a couple of place soft mats and note the feet are indenting the place mats...is this maybe restricting the inflow of air?

Are you running on cooling pad?

Edit: Cancel watching TV show(internet stream) and CPU temp drops by 40 degrees instantly????????????

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try undervolting the CPU? Check back on the thread, there have been a few tutorials shared in response to your comments. Not sure it should hit 100c watching TV tbh.

Spartan likes this.
  6. PLANTONE

PLANTONE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm concerned about doing anything when normal operation should not be pulling these figures?
    Only seems to do it with watching latest release TV show that is via internet saves????

Witcher 3 no issues, youtube no issues

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I fixed that for you, bro.
    3s.gif
    Word! Exactly the way I look at it now. "High performance" notebooks have never been a poorer value than they are today. They are far too compromised, run hot, throttle too much, have castrated firmware, inadequate power handling and the morons that build them are too obsessed with control; so, the use of quotes in the preceding sentence is appropriate. They are not high performance, they just suck a little less than the ordinary consumer filth. This is unfortunate. It did not used to be that way and it doesn't have to be that way today. But, it is what it is. As long as they are being manufactured by imbeciles, it's not going to improve. Don't flush your money down the toilet on a compromised gamer-boy piece of junk that costs $2000 or more. $1500~ (or less) is about the most any of these so-called "desktop replacements" are worth based on how screwed up they are.

A super-expensive laptop with an unlocked desktop CPU that sells for as much as the Area 51M and Clevo DTRs should have a BIOS that functions flawlessly, with all of the same CPU and memory configuration options that you would find in the BIOS of a high-end desktop overclocking/enthusiast motherboard like a Z390 Pro Carbon, MEG Z390 Ace, Z390 Aorus Ultra, Z390 Dark, ROG Strix Z390-E, X299 Dark or ASUS Rampage. The fact that they rely on Micro$lop Store UWP trash apps, or other buggy forms of proprietary "control center" software for partial functionality is absolutely a joke. The clowns that build this broken crap just cannot be taken seriously. They don't know what they are doing, and they don't care as long as people keep buying their broken garbage.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    DreDre, jclausius, Rei Fukai and 6 others like this.
  8. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perfect thanks, I'll look into finding some that are 2mm then, even if it helps by 5 degrees I'd be satisfied.

bsch3r likes this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton P870TM1-SKYLINE

Reputations:
    Well put. These new trends with soldered components, non standart parts, thinner bezzels and subpar cooling make the whole point of "upgradable" laptops quite meek. Here's hoping that that'll change.

jclausius, Rei Fukai, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  10. Nicolas Paiva

Nicolas Paiva Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    upload_2019-9-8_14-36-47.png

upload_2019-9-8_14-37-17.png

Well, we have hope. More companies are using LGA 95W on High-End Laptops. Also, NVIDIA managed to create a whole new cooling system to Laptop, that allowed a Quadro RTX 6000 24GB 250W on this form factor. I think we will be able to use 3080 Ti, or Atleast full TDP 3080 in next gen.

Finally Laptops are matching performance to Full Desktops.