*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Whom are you tweeting? Dell/Alienware support? Wasted time, bruh. You need to tweet Umar, Ernie or Eddy. Maybe they will ask own Aw support team, LOOL

jclausius and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    those 3 musketeers are useless, they just post about games and nonsense :rolleyes:

Mr. Fox, Darkhan, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They are still the top dogs at AW after Azor left the ship. I mean Eddy should know as he seems to halfway know their products
    [​IMG]

Darkhan, jclausius and Nicolas Paiva like this.
  4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Area 51M, obviously. The XPS 15 cooling is basically rather weak so the CPU would be thermally throttled if pushed, while the TB3 is pretty bad for external GPU's (as the GPU takes like 20-25% performance hit compared to desktop and sometimes even more from what I've seen in various reviews).

Given the abysmal TB3 performance, I'm quite surprised that no other company besides Alienware went with a direct PCI-E connection for the external GPU enclosures.

So, it would be much better if you could live with one of the Alienware thin and lights (e.g. m15 or m17). Not that their CPU cooling is great, but at least you won't pay for the 2080 card and get 2060 level performance. But, if you do go with these unfortunate m15/m17 R2's, keep in mind that their RAM is soldered(!?) so choose wisely.

5. MrFreeze_Van

MrFreeze_Van Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anything preventing you from installing the nvidia driver proposed by the Geforce experience app? I have installed all updates has they come on my 51M and did not had issue, I was not even aware that Dell app was supposed to propose me the updates.

GerhardK likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Perhaps the update from GeForce Experience may have went fine but I actually only like doing clean installs of drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and when I try to do a clean install, only the Graphics Driver gets installed and other components fail. If I try again they will install, but I just feel there is something fishy about this and I want Dell to give us a proper update it is not acceptable that a flagship model's graphics drivers are 5 months old especially with the release of a totally new Windows 10 Build which is 1903.

7. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jeez... sub-par at best.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Papusan and Spartan like this.
  8. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    o_OUh Apparently you don't fly much....o_O

So you would lug said itx case, keyboard, mouse, headphones, mouse mat and a monitor around?

_deadbydawn_, VoodooChild and Spartan like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I never understand why people try to make a mini-itx argument when it needs mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor, and then you have the tower.

Seriously my Area-51m is literally almost as portable as my macbook pro. The difference is one is slightly larger and heavier. It still fits in my backpack, I can take it anywhere.

And I get 2 hours of battery life should I need to use it without an outlet at school or something.

10. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    and after all that you still have room for a Fire Extinguisher! :rolleyes: