*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When they start burning down houses, cars and leaving an Alien faced pattern burn on people's extremities, AW will be banned from travel...lol

you doin checking a laptop? I cant even check a flashlight with cr123's without someone having a cow...

I used to carry my GT75 in a carryon rollerbag with a HDF(like my gun cases) panel that held it in the case nicely. TSA was like "that's cool", gate agents got pissy and quoted regulations about carryons, smart bags, electronics blah blah when they "tried" to make me gate check when boarding dinky regional jets.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
    S.K, DaMafiaGamer and Spartan like this.
  2. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I miss the old bios, that automatically picked up your new drive and made it easy to switch boot order.

Gonna be a weekend if gaming!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m on 1.3.2, which one are you on?

Happy gaming!

4. S.O.L.O.

S.O.L.O. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are there any benchmarks comparing the thermal performance of 65W vs 95W CPUs. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not the 65W will actually run cooler.

CPU running at 70-80 Celsius while gaming is really high, most desktops with adequate cooling will run below 60 Celsius while gaming.

Would a 45W unlocked HK CPU not be ideal for this chassis? It seems like even 65W is too high for a laptop.

Also, would using the graphics amplifier help improve thermal performance?

And does graphics amplifier with 2080 perform better than the laptop 2080 or PCI 4x bottleneck it to negligible performance improvement?

5. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    70 - 80 degrees for i.e. a 9900K in a notebook is not bad in my opinion. my 9900k @4.8 allcore runs at around 70 to really low 80 (spikes) while under load. hell my 9900X @ 4.9ghz in my dual-custom-loop workstation even runs at around 70 - 80 degrees when under load... so it's a matter of prospective. also, a cpu that runs @70 - 80degrees under load will be outdated and replaced by a newer one long before it dies a thermal death ;-)

imo.

concerning the graphic amp there were some posts a few pages back.

VoodooChild and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Run Need For Speed Payback for half an hour or so and then tell us what's the temp your 9900K runs at.

The fans may "look" bigger but the vents are only on the back side while alienware vents are both on the back and on the sides. Omen's thermals are just OK, far from great. Plus, Omen doesn't even come anywhere close to the level of performance that Area 51m delivers. No comparison here.
    P.S., Area 51m fans are quite powerful. When you set them on full speed, they sound like a turbine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2019
    _deadbydawn_ and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. S.O.L.O.

Reputations:
    considering buying the area 51m and would like to know which cpu will get the best performance.

also considering a graphics amplifier to improve performance.

8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    9900K is the performance champ until 9900KS comes out.

9. S.O.L.O.

Reputations:
    K cpus will have higher performance but also higher heat from what I have read.

Any benchmarks comparing the K and non-K with the area 51m would be helpful

10. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmm, if one gets a different cpu than at least a 9700k for this machine, it's like buying a ferrari and stuffing a fiat panda engine in it :)

jclausius likes this.