*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll try it tommorow...Can't thank you enough!

2. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My issue with these new laptops is that they are all deeper than everything else. My GT75 is roughly 12" and I use the Everki Lunar (roughly 13" deep, I also add a High Density Foam piece on the bottom as I have already broken a corner off. Looks like neither this or the GT76 Titan will fit in my bag.

They seem to be gravitating towards more "Junk in the Trunk" (Behind the Monitor hinges) approach. Being that I deploy for up to 21days a month I am either flying or driving to the Port. Driving will be somewhat easier but flying will make me have to redo my entire carryon for one of these newer "box with a lid" models. I literally put the laptop in the Everki, then put that in one side of my carryon, with the power stuff underneath. Yeah I know the Lunar has a passthrough but it make the carryon WAY top heavy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This mess started due people wanted thinner Apple similar Gaming Jokebooks. Give a huge thanks to thin and slim sickness and or engineers who think they know what you want. And this have escalated due narrow bezel. Todays 17,3 inc laptops is in short not much wider than yesterdays 15,6 models.

See... Narrow bezels force bigger depth, as well will the shrinked thickness... This move is needed to be able to have same or similar cooling capacity as today. Would you prefer worse cooling for portability or and better look? The depth should be greater not smaller or as today. You can't put in more powerful cooling in a pancake chassis. We need better cooling.... Not worse.

Ashtrix, Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox and 8 others like this.
  4. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    Yeah I can see the narrow bezel reducing the overall width. My beef is it will cause me to rethink my ENTIRE mode of transporting them when I deploy. As it is now everything has its place and fits without a struggle. Only downside is when I fly and get a regional jet and they get anal about the carry on, I have to pull the GT75 out and then carry it on the plane(while still in the Everki), while the power bricks get bounced around under the plane. The Area51 may not even fit in the carry on now.

Don't want to derail the thread to much.

5. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should have a good look at the hp omen 17, one of the few laptops left that don’t have cooling junk behind the screen, it is slim in size and somehow maintains good cooling on the gpu side by default and cpu side with -100mv + undervolting, no idea how they did it, the fans are absolutely huge inside though meaning more fins for airflow, so that has something to do with it. Has nice design, not too much rgb and looks more like a professional laptop than a ‘attention seekers’ laptop.
    Only has one power supply but the 330w power supply is absolutely huge, the space of both Alienware 330w and 180w combined!

6. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    I would just get another GT75 with the upgraded parts.

7. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IT WORKED!!! Fast and no glitches.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate the time you spent on this with me.

c69k, Virale and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you managed to do any benchmark comparisons between your A51m and the Omen?

9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Need to, using my GT83 atm trying to complete tom clancy's wildlands, I'm literally hooked lol. Once completed I'll test out the omen fully and give this community some results to compare with. Remember the Omen has a core clock of 1380mhz on the rtx 2080 and a tdp of 150w whilst the Alienware Area 51M has a core clock of 1575mhz and a usual vbios tdp of 200w although many would have stuck with 190w.

From initial benches I'm getting exact the same benches as the alienware 51m whilst the rtx gpu is using 40w less. Boost clocks increase once the temps are as low as 70c at max.

Here is a random bench I did on startup to give me a baseline to improve upon. I'm gonna be making the gpu go off the charts just like I did with the clevo :D

[​IMG]

Here are some comparisons of the heatsinks and fans.

Alienware Area 51M:

[​IMG]

HP Omen 17 2019:

[​IMG]

As you can see the HP is packing some T H I C C heatpipes. Those fans are the exact size of a blower cooler fan on a rx 5700 xt, so now you understand how huge the fans are, the probably have more pulling power than the alienware fans whilst being slightly bigger.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
    c69k and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course it worked man!!! It was a friggin' odyssey for me... I figured it out with trial and error. Why the hell it isn’t easier is beyond me!!!

I’m really glad you’re flying now haha! ENJOY!!! Install some friggin’ games and start enjoying this beast!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.