*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is what I had to do: I added a new boot option for my NVME and set it as first priority... then my PC would still boot to the hybrid drive (undesired) regardless of what I did in BIOS. After doing what I just described, I disconnected the hybrid drive, booted into windows once fully, then shut down, and reconnected the hybrid drive. I haven’t had problems since (this was just when I had first cloned my hybrid drive into my NVME).

By the way, this is all dependent on making the clone with Macrium Reflect. I tried Samsung’s clone tool because my NVME drive is Samsung thinking it was “better to use the company’s tool”; hell no, Macrium Reflect is THE disk cloning tool to use. It actually clones each and every partition, as expected. Samsung’s clones most but not all, resulting in he situation you have (went through the same thing) in conjunction with the BIOS being difficult (this was where I had issues and described how I fixed above).

I actually kept the entire recovery, Dell tools, etc on my hybrid drive and didn’t wipe those partitions. In case my NVME fails (Or vice versa, the hybrid fails), I can reimage either drive or a new drive & clone it again. I just wiped the windows/data partition on my hybrid drive, leaving ~95% still free. No point in wiping those recovery and Dell tools partitions if they’re not in the way and give some peace of mind. If I sell this unit, I’d reimage to factory settings and sell it, for example, without having to put much effort in.

I actually reimaged to factory settings several times figuring everything you’re trying to figure out now because I kept screwing things up trying to get EFI and boot settings pointed in the right direction... turns out it all boiled down to what the BIOS took as “Primary” and “Secondary” drive, which is resolved by removing a drive. The drive that is left connected will become the “Primary” drive (this should be your OS, cloned drive).

Whew, that was long winded. I’m pretty sure this is what you need. Follow it and it will work.

RMLJD likes this.
  2. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On the plate for today.

I did remove the hybrid and booted from the M2. But as soon as I reconnected the problems started

3. Virale

Reputations:
    Good luck!!! I had the same set up: lowest config (hybrid drive) and added my own NVME as my OS drive by cloning the hybrid. I wanted everything to work (e.g. AW mobile connect, etc, which requires the stock image), so I was very persistent until I figured it all out.

You need not change any settings within Windows. The process from the top should be:

1. Open new A-51m
    2. Install NVME drive inside.
    3. Boot into windows from hybrid drive.
    4. Set up Samsung magician, install Samsung NVME driver, update to latest firmware.
    5. Install Macrium Reflect
    6. Clone hybrid drive to NVME completely. Just select clone and ensure all partitions are checked. Clone.
    7. Shutdown and go into BIOS, create a new boot option for the NVME Boot manager. Put it as first option. Save.
    8. Shut down, open your A-51m, disconnect the hybrid drive ribbon.
    9. Power your machine on and go to BIOS. Your NVME should now be listed as the “Primary” drive.
    10. Boot into Windows to be sure your clone worked.
    11. Shut down. Reconnect hybrid drive. Go to BIOS.
    12. Check NVME is still the drive listed as “Primary”.
    13. Boot into Windows, open Macrium Reflect or Disk Manager and wipe the OS partition on the hybrid drive. I named mine “Data”.
    14. You’re done! You shouldn’t have to edit ANY Windows settings/EFI/Boot stuff within Windows. The NVME drive is a CLONE and thus should work exactly as expected after cloning, which is to just WORK.

The only thing I’d add as a “step 0” is: if you’ve already messed with things on your hybrid drive and don’t have anything important on it, I’d go into Dell recovery and just nuke everything, reimage your hybrid drive to factory settings and start from there. That’s what I did, at least 4-5 times trying to get this to work. I basically didn’t install anything or start really using my PC until I had sorted this out.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    RMLJD and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. David walbum

David walbum Newbie

Reputations:
    Could use a quick advise on which setup I should go for.

I’m located in Denmark so therefor limited to what the danish dell online store is capable of providing

As my budget won’t allow me to go full out with rtx 2080 and i9 9900 I have these 2 options

I7 9700 ( non K ) rtx 2080

Or

I9 9900k rtx 2070

They are exactly the same price with everything ells chosen for the setup the i9 upgrade is 400$ extra and I’m already 1000$ over budget with the 2 setup :) so not an option

I lean towards the i7 setup as I could sell the cpu down the line used for 250-300$ here in Denmark and buy the i9 for 530$ current prices

I could of cause go i7 9700k and 2070 and save 230$ on the 2 setups and only go 770$ over budget and I do love to thinker with OC

5. Virale

Reputations:
    2080 all the way! CPU is easy to upgrade and a 9900K can be obtained later in time for cheaper...

c69k, David walbum and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Second that, plus the heatsink can handle the 9700 without throttling it like crazy. Trust me I had a 8700k (undervolted -150mv) and an rtx 2080. It was the best combo ever. Low heat and no throttling, plus fan noise was kept at a minimum...

This way if you have a bad batch of vrms in the Alienware area 51m your less likely to burn it out. Less stress on the motherboard vrms due to only 65w consumed by the cpu compared to the 120+ from the 9900k.

Fire Tiger and David walbum like this.
  7. Virale

Reputations:
    Speaking of wanting Alienware Mobile Connect to work, I recently started getting this error. Anyone get this too and know a fix? I’ve tried reinstalling, re-pairing, etc. Anyone?

[​IMG]

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    jclausius and Darkhan like this.
  9. Virale

Reputations:
    Alienware (Dell) Update isn’t working at all either. Anyone experiencing the same?

Edit:
    Figured it out for both. A Windows update was installed that blocked a vulnerability on VB6/VB script, it’s update KB4512508. Another update was released supposedly reenabling VB6/VB script, KB4512941, however apps relying on VB6/VB script like AW mobile connect and AW update still weren’t working. I uninstalled the updates and they’re working again.

I’ll try reinstalling them later, but for now, we gud.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So far I have removed the m2, and reinstalled win on the hybrid using dell Os recovery tool. I have downloaded Macrium, Samsung magician and the samsung driver (none installed yet) I have not installed the m2 yet.

Win is running slow, and it takes a long time to boot. U recall if your hybrid was sluggish?