*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had a Area 51m with 9700/2070 from Best Buy. I had on par performance with a 2070 maxq and a 2080maxq actually out performed the 2070. The 2070 will synthetically beat them but real world gaming not really.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you can afford 2080mq why not get the 2080 in the 51m? In the AW51 you have to either use an older bios or set a custom OC profile with the temperature limit set to 87C. If you do that the 2080 would perform better than the 2080mq and the 2070 would be on par.

pathfindercod likes this.
  3. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ...so I did the experiment. Removed ihs of my 9900k, removed the indium solder with rockit quicksilver and replaced the original ihs with the rockit copper one. Between die and rockit ihs I used liquid metal in form of conductonaut. To provide maximal pressure on the die I did not glue the rockit ihs which is just held down by the retention machanism. Z-heigt is to my eye pretty similar to the original ihs elevated by black glue and the thick indium solder. Results: no significant improvement in cpu temps which tells us the rockit ihs works but the heat sink system of the 51m is the limiting factor. In the end it was a fun experiment but with no real benefit. GPU temps are also the same, so I don´t think the heatsink was warped by this procedure.

With fans at full and a -120 mV offset at 4700 MHz the CPU reaches 100C in the actual cine bench, the same as before. The cpu exhaust is very warm, so heat transfer from die to exhaust seems to work quiet well. Will experiment further tomorrow. Btw I used kryonaut on gpu and ihs.

4. Zoledz

Zoledz Newbie

Reputations:
    You sure your 2070 was on par with 2070mq? Even 2070 laptop version is faster then 2080mq according to ntbckcheck graphic card graph. In my country aw51 9700/2070 is similar with price of Msi gs75 with 2080mq that's why I'm asking

5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Battlefield 5 on a AW m17 with 2070q and the 51m with 2070 both averaged 85-95 FPS at 1080p. A tested a MSI stealth with a 2080q and it averaged 120’ish FPS at 1080p.

6. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm personally not going to update to any new system BIOS from v1.3.2 until they remove the silly 75 C temperature limit for the GPU. I know the downclock doesn't affect frame rates in games at all, but I don't like seeing it being decreased. It's like having a speed limiter set on a very fast sports car. Can't have the thing running at it's full potential.

Thankfully there aren't any major fixes with these new System BIOS', so I don't feel any sudden urges to want to update.

Funny thing actually is that there's quite a few Area-51m owners who are following suit, and not updating to the latest system BIOS neither. Bit pointless of Dell releasing them in the first place then. Maybe they think the average joe won't notice that the new BIOS' hinder the machines performance, I don't know.

Thanks for supporting the Area-51m Dell, but no thanks. I'll stick with V1.3.2 and 200W VBIOS, where I can use the system to it's full potential, with no limits.

You know there's something wrong when whenever a new system BIOS is released, every knowledgeable Area-51m owner wants to avoid it like it's the plague. If it was actually good for the system, they'd waste no time in updating their own systems, and staying on latest up-to-date BIOS, rather than just updating to it, testing it for a bit and then downgrading back to a normal running BIOS that doesn't hinder performance in any way.

Go ahead with optimising the system Dell, but don't limit the performance of either the CPU or GPU in any way during full load, just to decrease temperatures a little bit. It defeats the purpose of this being an high end gaming laptop. No other machines do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
    Papusan, RMLJD, VoodooChild and 2 others like this.
  7. Ale380

Ale380 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys looks like i can't undervolt my RTX2080 with msi afterburner...anynody knows why?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I probably won't be able to help, but what issues are you having? You could also give the below a watch from @Mr. Fox to see if that helps?

9. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need to edit the .cfg file to unlock voltage controls, as shown in Mr.Fox's video above. Copy paste the lines under the video description as shown in the guide.

Papusan, Mr. Fox, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-comet-lake-s-arrives-q1-2020-with-10-cores-and-lga1200-socket

If this is true, i would like to see how Dellienware is going to handle the "upgradeability" off the 51m. Seems like an R2 would be one with the 400 series chipsets. AMD needs to hurry and get it's bussiness toghether cause this is getting out of hand. Bring back the PGA CPU's we used to have, maybe that will re-aweken Intel it's efforts to create a mobile LGA socket, instead of letting OEM's hack their own sockets togheter.