*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Pudge

Pudge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, if I'll do recovery to factory settings with Alienware OS Recovery Tool, it will erase all my data on all drives? (I have 3 ssd drives) so I am curious if it will format all of them or just one with C drive?

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    you get to choose which one gets formatted in the initial phase

Pudge likes this.
  3. KozE

KozE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are amazing, it worked :)
    I have another question for you, so I actually set it to maximum performances in Nvidia Control Panel and my GPU temperature are still decent: around 60°.
    Am I ruining my hardware by setting it constantly on "high perf" instead of "Adaptative". I noticed a slight FPS boost which I found worth it.

Note that I also set my Alien Command Center profile to "maximum speed fan" and the power saving mode to "high performances" there.

Rei Fukai and Spartan like this.
  4. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well Worded.....

i think the end maybe near for true configurable laptops

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Alienware has been in the BGA hammock for too long(soon near 5 years). This means equal development of firmware/software for even upgradeable notebook as Area will follow same paths for everything they push out. Too difficult or too late change how they act or think everything has to be(should be).

Rei Fukai, nkc and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Some people like that, especially if all they care about is benchmarking and the absolute max score to leave no room for any deterioration in performance. BUT here's how I look at this. I do not want my GPU OR CPU running at full speed all the time, what benefit would that give me while watching YouTube, typing something Word, watching a movie, etc. that would just create slightly more heat if not significant for no reason

The beauty of the balanced power plan in Windows (which affects CPU clock speeds) and the nVIDIA Control Panel Adaptive power management is that the CPU/GPU run at lower clock speeds, keeping those temps low and as soon as something that demands more power they ramp up to full speed.

Be smart.....be like Ultra Male... [​IMG]

jclausius, GreatD, Fire Tiger and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, you are not going to ruin anything. Doing that will hurt nothing whatsoever except maybe how long you can run on battery. It won't run hotter and it will still idle down to low clock speeds when not under load. I honestly cannot see any reason for the other two options (Optimal and Adaptive) to exist. All the other two options do is make the GPU under-perform and behave in a spastic manner, exactly like what you experienced. Set the NVIDIA Control Panel Global profile power management option on High Performance, leave it there, and forget it.

You can use the Windows power plans like @Ultra Male mentioned and be better served.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I guess you're right. I mean when the Area 51m came out I thought alienware was going back to their routes. Even if it wasn't possible to upgrade everything it was atleast possible to get spare parts if something broke. Too me it looked like a step up from the out going 15 r4 and 17 r5. Then they come out with the m17 and m15 r2 and just went full retard. Even the xps 15 is more user upgradable and serviceable. :(

Luckily there are other companies out there that will take our money. :rolleyes:

Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  9. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is this the same as the balanced mode in AWCC?

10. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes