*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Old toshiba qosmio laptops also has some amazing harmon kardon speakers.

[​IMG]

DreDre, ssj92, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  2. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My previous gaming laptop was a MSI GT73VR, and I won't lie, I do miss the excellent sound from that machine. The sound card in the Area-51M is nowhere near as good as the Dynaudio one, along with Nahimic 2 software in the GT73VR. Having said that, I'd happily sacrifice the quality of the onboard sound card for the increased performance with the Area-51M and it's i9900K and RTX 2080. Blows my GT73VR away, there's simply no contest when it comes to pure horsepower.

I recently purchased the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset, and it is beautiful to say the least. Have the transceiver set up properly so I can game on the laptop, and the HDTV, and be enjoying 7.1 surround sound in no time and without any hassle.

I'd highly recommend the headset, if you're serious about wanting great sound while gaming. They are very comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time. Laptop speakers will always be lacking in quality in some way. Will always need to purchase some extra sound-related stuff to match the other onboard powerful components.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I seem to remember a cmd to disable sleep on the AW which was recommended to do. Anyone know what I mean? Can't find the post now.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  5. Doug-le-Guedin

Doug-le-Guedin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there,

During the last few days I noticed a lot of throttling coming from the GPU.
    I read about the BIOS versions here on this thread and today I'm using the version 1.5.0 of the BIOS and the version 1.0.0.3 of the VBIOS.

So with the 1.6.2 BIOS, the GPU throttling was of course coming from the temperature (~75°C) but now it comes from the power.

So what I tested was to downclock the CPU to an effective 3.6-3.7Ghz in game (something else in Alienware CC but you know, according to the number of cores running), limiting its power draw to 40W when playing WoW for example.
    I thought that limiting the CPU like that would give more room for the GPU but even without overclocking it, I have power throttling at like 65% usage and 1905MHz.

Also I noticed on Alienware CC that in the Fusion tab for overclocking, when looking at the GPU settings, I have two sliders, one for the power limit and one for the temperature limit.
    The power slider is unusable (like grayed out) as well as the Unlink button, effectively allowing me to only change the temperature limit slider.
    I'm pretty sure it was not the case before, but I may be wrong?
    Anyway, this slider should be usable if it's available in the software, I guess?

Thank you in advance for your time!

EDIT:
    Seems to be voltage related now
    [​IMG]
    I mean it does not appear to me to be much demanding of this computer right now.

EDIT 2:
    Or in these examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I already saw the GPU go for far more than that before.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    why cant dell activate undervolt at least in bios

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Because Dell wants to combine everything into one app. And the same app applies to most of their notebook models. Aka the proprietary Alienware Dell OC app etc is an unisex app whitch work on all models. And I have said this before... If Dell add in support for 2666MHz ram in Area it will be done by their apps and not in the Bios. More and more will be removed away from the bios and instead into their (Windows Store) apps. What you have seen now (why cant dell activate undervolt at least in bios) is only the beginning.
    upload_2019-8-17_15-45-55.png

Rei Fukai, nkc and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Doing that might hurt future buyers. So, it will present on newer Area 51 rev 2 models.

Rei Fukai and nkc like this.
  10. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Then we r in prison, the app is almost useless , it cant do true 5ghz without downclocking two cores to 4.8

Rev 2 better be mid next year

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.