*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -----

And/Or some nice headphones.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Gazal

Gazal Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone please open their AW 51M and tell me what's the part number for a battery cable?

5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    damn... looks like they're still failing like bricks trying to fly. a shame, AW could've make this their comeback flagship machine, instead they gave it the GIMPtreatment aka GIMPMENT. hope that the owners are still getting their promised 2600mhz bios update. That's someting that they're obliged to do for the loyal AW owners and buyers of the 51m.
    At first it looked like a good machine, but even the 17 R5 had less issues than it's replacement which is a shame. Luckily it can still pack some punches in gaming and benching, but nothing a clevo/eurocom cannot beat.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and etern4l like this.
  6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you won’t find it anywhere, I’ve gone down that route, if you must have the part number here it is:

[​IMG]

you’ll have better luck doing the soldering technique, both connectors plug in the same way, just purchase two of those cables on AliExpress and solder the cables together. Put the connectors into the laptop and it should work. Make sure the connector position matches the other one in the battery otherwise you will end up with a dead charging/power management IC. If that happens good luck with sourcing one of those chips, they’re virtually non existent...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Gazal likes this.
  7. Gazal

Gazal Newbie

Reputations:
    Guess i will try the soldering thing out. Ill also buy the HDD and Tobii cable from AW 17 R model, since it has also the same pin layout.

Did your laptop come with all the necessary screws?

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes, came with the Hdd cable and tobii eye tracking cable completely fine. Came with the hdd bracket also. All screws except for the long 12mm that goes into the gpu and through to the palmrest is missing along with the 4 silver wide screws that stop the end cover coming off. Otherwise the screw set is complete.

9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fun fact: different people have different preferences. Some might not like using headphones (like me). And some might also not like relying on external speakers for many reasons.

And I agree with @DaMafiaGamer it is inexcusable to have bad quality speakers in an expensive laptop. Sadly this is pretty much a norm now, with almost every brand.

I remember old Compaq laptops which had the best speakers, the HUGE JBL speakers mounted on the top side of large palmrest. I wish some other company would do the same. I believe only MSI GT63 has something like this now - top firing speakers of good quality (other MSI models have bottom-firing speakers which is not good if you place laptop on soft surface).

10. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -----
    Yes I get what you're saying. Even my old HP dv7 has a subwoofer and great speakers and still running like new to this day. Must be like nine or ten years old.