*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apparently plenty of people buy their laptops based on things that make even less sense, like a brand name.

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @pathfindercod what @Papusan said. You buy a laptop taking in the facts that there are better ones out there for certain things. Msi laptops for example have amazing sound but bga cpus or gpu in the case of the gt76. Alienware has amazing performance but lacks in the sound quality and features department.
    The only reason why I was so hyped up was because reviews say the speakers sound ‘excellent and outstanding’ directly rivalling msi....

For a music geek like me lol alienware doesn’t really cut it. Everyone has their own opinions too about laptops, maybe @Enkeixpress is right in saying that my machine maybe has faulty speakers or the drivers aren’t configed properly or maybe just maybe he hasn’t heard what a gt72/gt73- Gt83 sounds like. That kind of sound quality spoils you :D

hmscott likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    MSI is a no go. Have been like this the last 7 years. Good sound is nice but not if the rest is crippled. Hence I went with P870. There isn't many choices for notebooks nowadays. 99% of them is crippled in one or another way. Brand new GT76 with BGA graphics and LGA... What?o_O Nope... I won't touch it!

jclausius, DreDre, zdroj and 2 others like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    That’s exactly why I’ve tried different laptops too bro, Clevo laptops being one of the main ones that are literally good in every way. And if not you can mod it as you wish, bios mods, heatsink mods even water cooling mods! The list goes on....

DreDre, Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As I said... 99% of them is not worth pay for. Maybe sub $3-400 but not much more.
    [​IMG]
    Notebook manufacturers lay a lot of eggs, but almost no one is worth eating.

jclausius and Darkhan like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You don't have faulty drivers. The speakers of the Area-51m are utter garbage. Sometimes when I'm watching something on YouTube I can barely hear what they're saying at full volume. Then the lack of bass or any form of depth totally destroys the experience.

Mr. Fox, zdroj, Fire Tiger and 5 others like this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Im glad to know that I don’t have a faulty machine, don’t get me wrong surround sound quality is good but that’s about it, no clarity (muffled sound) and no bass at all.

Honestly, for the price I got it for it’s a DAMN GOOD MACHINE I’ll give it that. But a laptop that costs upwards of $4000 should already have things you shouldn’t have to make up for. No msi or Clevo laptop has these tragic speakers. In all honestly dells precision 77xx series have better speakers, can you believe I’m saying that!!!

Bottom line: it was worth the investment but I shouldn’t have to shell out another few hundred £ for a state of the art speaker system when there is more than enough room in the chassis for something better.

Feels like I’m ranting lol so I’m gonna stop after this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2019
  8. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have rehabbed poor sounding guitar amps with new speakers...I wonder if there are drop ins available with better sound. If so someone can give me the specs on them (dimensions, ohms, connections), I have a friend who is an audio engineer and builds speakers. He might be able to make suggestions. I bet there are options with the same formfactor...

Fire Tiger and hmscott like this.
  9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sell it

10. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    that’s exactly what I’m doing, I was never going to keep it. First I’ll buy a battery cable for it though :D