*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keep us posted.

I'm iffy on what I want to go with if this doesn't end with me getting an Area 51m. The 2080 maxq is alot weaker than the desktop version. While great for a thin and light it won't pack the same punch. So I'm leaning towards the m15 and getting a graphics amp. Or the y740 by lenovo. It's alot cheaper than the other 2080 max q laptops and has g sync. So value wise it's pretty solid. Not sure how their thermals are though as I've never touched one of their laptops before.

carlodelmazo likes this.
  2. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is pretty apparent at this point that Dell has screwed up with some component (the power cable or power unit?) for customers who placed the order before the site was corrected.

What I don't understand is their inability to be flexible enough to fix the wrong orders without having to make the customers place orders again.
    Also for those thinking that chatting or calling the customer care would help them discern what went wrong here is not going to help unfortunately. Pretty sure that these agents are looking up the order in their systems sitting 1000s of miles away from the factories and probably trying to guess or giving some random explanation to placate the customer with no clue on what exactly is the problem here (unless it was logged in the system).
    No point in venting our frustrations on the agents since they are probably just doing their job as instructed and fix this issue by having the customer place a re order (the bad way to fix this sadly).

Dell really needs fix this whole order process to be more transparent and flexible and start to consider that this ordering model is now outdated to retain their customers..

Terreos likes this.
  3. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah they seem stuck in the past, But it seems is similar with other brands as well, they play cheap.

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You would think they would have something in place to make this easier for them or customers. Even if it was something like an automated system sending an email to the customer to contact Dell about a part issue and go from there. Me having to do the leg work to even find out there is problem is unexceptionable.

And it's easy to vent on the agents. Since even you believe that they may give random excuses. When your job is giving and collecting information you deserve to be yelled at for guessing. That's how I learn at my job. Make a mistake, get scolded, don't make the same mistake again and learn.

Rei Fukai, Ultra Male and dodgehemi0 like this.
  5. dodgehemi0

dodgehemi0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m in the US. and with the 2080 it’s 2600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Amplifier is pointless. With 2080 Ti you gonna have about the same performance as 2080 Max-Q inside the laptop. Besides that, you can have SFF desktop with the same size as Amplifier, but inside its case all the components, not just GPU.

7. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Amplifier has a place, it depends on your needs and requirements. For example a laptop that you take to work and in the evening connect to the Amp and an external screen to play. Plus the Amp should allow you to easily upgrade your graphics card in two years time when the installed card is showing its age.

rickdeckard likes this.
  8. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I understand, but as I wrote still pointless. The case has the size of mITX desktop, so why wouldn't you upgrade GPU in your small desktop? And what's the point to buy laptop with 2080 Max-Q + 2080 Ti and Amplifier? Just wasting money. Even if you have ultrabook with iGPU and you want to connect top GPU externally, then in this case you can have ultrabook, but with good GPU. Razer Blade Stealth is not that smaller from its 15" brother, but in performance huge difference, especially as for gaming laptop.

9. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I disagree. What if you only want just one computer. Not everyone has a computer for work and another one for home, I know I don't. I can buy a thin and light 17", for example the new m17 or m15 with an internal 2060 Max-Q, for work making for a light load to carry around and match it to a AGA with a decent card for gaming when I get home.

You shouldn't assume that everyone has the same requirements or is in the same situation as you. For you having two computers probably works just fine. For me it doesn't.

edit - although I do agree getting a 2080 Max-Q and matching it to AGA with a 2080Ti might look a little silly until you consider a guy who spends a lot of time travelling. The Max-Q gives him acceptable performance on the road and the AGA with the Ti gives him excellent performance when he is home.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's what I'm talking about you don't need two computers or the Amplifier, just get laptop with top GPU and it would give you better performance.

Vistar Shook likes this.