*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i didnt spend a ton ^^

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    700 euro's on A cpu just for it being binned is a ton meaning alot

Edit: Looking at the prices SL handles at the moment, you're paying 1/3 price off the whole laptop for a CPU that can runs 5.1 all core. Which is impressive, but also overpriced. Dropping it down to 5.0 Ghz sees a price reduction off almost 40% while performance uplift is not even 10% for that 100Mhz. that's alot.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok Guys, here's a little update on my new rig with the Eyesafe display; it seems Dell has quietly (and cunningly I might add) removed Gsync functionality on the new panels if you downgrade the BIOS to below 1.5.4. Their business strategies get worst with every passing day. The new buyers of this system will have to run BIOS 1.5.4 and above if they want Gysnc working perfectly.

On 1.6.2: Gsync works but temp throttle limit is 75C

On 1.5.4: Same results as 1.6.2 but with more throttling and faster temp limits reached

On 1.5.0: Gsync is detected by nvidia drivers but when turned on, all the games starts flashing white lights. It has almost a strobe effect on the screen. When Gync is off, games runs normally. I've tried 3-4 nvidia drivers including Dell and the result is consistent.

On 1.3.2: Gsync is not even detected.

So, I've switched this Chi Mei panel with the AUO I have lying around and running 1.3.2 with full Gycnc functionality and the performance is the best with this BIOS. The colors of the panels are different as well. Chi Mei is brighter but AUO has more vivid colors. The response time also seems better on the AUO than the other one although I don't have any scientific proof on it. I very much prefer the AUO over the Chi Mei overall.

Finally, since I already opened the heart of the beast, I decided to repaste the Dell toothpaste with some Phobya nanogrease and some Artic pads. The results are astounding to be honest. I'm hitting max peak of 76C on the GPU running at 2010Mhz @ 937mV and max peak of 84C on the CPU running at 4.9Ghz on all cores. The temps are consistent while gaming and synthetic benchmarks alike. I'll report back if there's is some change in the near future.

In any case, thanks for reading and hope this helps someone.

TLDR: Dell is using some underhanded tactics to keep people from downgrading to better performing BIOS. I doubt we will see those initial LG and AUO panels on this machine again. Phobya is the BOMB! Highly recommend it!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

How much did you spend?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Here is my "daily driver" FS score:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37910778?

upload_2019-7-23_13-55-55.png

upload_2019-7-23_13-55-14.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
    Papusan, Rei Fukai, alberty and 3 others like this.
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    630 euro.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think they just included this panel in their arsenal so they had to add support in later versions of bios for it which explains why gsync didn't work on prior versions. But I agree, AUO is the overall best panel out there for this machine so far. Previously I believed that LG had better colors but my mind changed when I saw a calibrated AUO and LG side by side. AUO pops more and is faster.

6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Loving those cool temps. Though having a 9700K helps alot. But at 4.9GHZ? Seems impressive to me. About how long did it take you to pull it apart for the repaste?

7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It took me 20-25 minutes to do the entire thing mate, 5 mins extra for cleaning the junk from Dell paste job. But, I've opened this laptop so many times now I've gotten the hang of it. Having one extra Guinea pig laptop helps as well.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

630 Euro from where I come from IS a "LOT" mate, you're the 1% of this laptop owners club who can run 5Ghz no problem with acceptable temps, but the same does not apply to everyone here. Enjoy your rig!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2019
    Papusan, Rei Fukai and Terreos like this.
  8. aeriesiii

aeriesiii Newbie

Reputations:
    Gotta say, finding and scouring through this forum has been massively informative. Props to S.K, Iunlock, and everyone else in here for providing so much knowledge.

I wanted to run my plan of attack with you guys to see if I'm forgetting/leaving something out. So I just received my Area 51m (I9 9900 @ 5.0Ghz | RTX 2080 | 64GB DDR4 2666Mhz | 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD) this past weekend and absolutely loving it. I wasn't really interested in overclocking so I opted for the 9900. I won't be gaming, but mainly video editing and rendering my drone footage. Rendering H.265 videos at max export settings has been a knife through butter. Awesome to watch.

As I've seen, the general consensus is to repaste and repad is a must. I'm more so interested in replacing paste and pads for longevity of the machine with lower temps, than to push it to its limits for as long as I can.

So I'll spending this weekend repasting/repadding:

Phobya NanoGrease Extreme: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUREJZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A2XKGXPP9Y1BT8&psc=1
    1mm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTTXSM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    1.5mm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTU6Z6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    2mm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJS5M60/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2XKGXPP9Y1BT8&psc=1
    3mm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK31PST/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=AW9QXMLY5QE3F&psc=1

Relevant and unrelated questions:

1. Seems like a lot of 2mm is used. Is 100x100 2.0mm going to be enough?
    2. If I have the heatsink on the SSD is it still a good idea to put on the 3mm thermal pad?
    3. If I'm not/can't overclock do I need to worry about undervolting? I figured I'd repaste/repad and check thermals before trying to undervolt. I was in XTU looking around but not comfortable yet to make changes. Can the 9900 undervolt since it's can't overclock? Also would delidding be pointless because of lack of overclocking?
    4. Down the road I'd like to get a RAID of 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 2TB and Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB. Although it states that Area 51m takes up to 2TB, would there be issues going above that?

Please correct me if I've said or stated anything incorrectly. Looking for any thoughts and opinions on this to make sure I've covered all my bases before moving forward. Thanks!

S.K likes this.
  9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lunar white going to UPS. Gotta reader the black, damnit.

clayton006 likes this.
  10. Incognitos

Incognitos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guy's,

I have the rtx 2070 with i7 8700. I have it several month's now and was very satisfied with it's performance and temps. But today i see in HWinfo that drive temperature 2 is 90 degrees celcius.
    That doesn't sound good at all, especially since i'm just typing this right now and it still get's that hot! I have the standard 1 Tb hdd plus the 250 gb SSd from Dell. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it really bad to have these kind of temps?

Thank you in advance for helping me.