*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I get mine tomorrow ;)

Fire Tiger and hmscott like this.
  2. Diziet

Diziet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How much CPU and GPU undervolting are people doing on their i9-9900k/RTX 2080 machines?

3. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, I just delided my 9900KF cpu on my area 51m, installed a coper IHS and I applied conductonaut thermal grizzly to both cpu and gpu along with protective foam around.
    I am not that impressed with the lower temperatures. I tried prime 95 without avx and it hits 88c on the hotest core at stock and with -0.095 undervolt. There is no overclocking headroom (I tried x48 on all cores with the same undervolt which is the lower stable and it goes up to 98C).
    Is this normal or I should get better temps?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You should have read before doing all that hassle. It is not worth it on this machine. Plus, I doubt if your copper IHS has the same z-height as your stock IHS because most of the aftermarket copper IHS are taller and it can really screw up the entire installation + warp the heat sink. Stick with Phobya Nanogrease Extreme (I get lower temps than kryonaut with this paste) on both CPU and GPU and you should be as good as you can get. The only place where you need LM is between the dye and the IHS, that's it. This thing has been so extensively discussed in this thread in the past and in so much detail that I'm already feeling exhausted typing all this here once again. So take your time and read through, you'll get plenty of info.

Panda7 likes this.
  5. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The z-height of the IHS is 100% the same as the original, but it has less height on the inside area only, it is making contact with the die and there is only a small gap around the perimeter of IHS in which I have put temperature resistant glue to fill the gap. So I am sure there is no problem with the IHS, it is making perfect contact with the die. I have applied conductonaut under and on top of the IHS. Before deliding with the same settings I was getting about 93-94c on full load and now its 88c. Not a big difference but at least under 90c now. Is this all I should get? Just reply to me with a yes or no, no need to type any more details :p I have seen here area 51m owners overclocking it to 5.1Ghz after deliding. How is this possible without hitting 100c ? are these chips some crazy silicon lottery pieces working with -0.500mv undervolt ? :)

6. Panda7

Panda7 Newbie

Reputations:

Has the dual boot been working well for you? Namely being able to run LAN from the Windows then switching to Linux for wired connection? My machine should be here tomorrow and that is one of the initial things I am wanting to do, at least until the remaining drivers come out for Ubuntu.

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    5.1 is only possible if you buy a binned chip form silicon lottery that has been short listed for that purpose (but good luck stabilising the PCIe express at those frequencies!). Generally speaking, what you currently have is as good as you can get with the 9900K or KF CPU in this machine. And regarding Z-height being the same, did you actually measure that with a vernier caliper to make sure it's the same? I wouldn't want to increase it even slightly because the power components around the CPU socket might lose good contact if there is even a marginal difference and you haven't applied extra thick pads there. The thermals in this case are bottle necked by the cooler design. I have done all that with my machine after going through a whole bunch of IHS's, replacement heat sinks and pastes, I can tell you that LM is a total waste and an unnecessary danger in case of this machine (it can and will leak out of those foam dams (especially conductonaut) if you treat your laptop like a laptop and carry it around. It is just a matter of time, unless you are willing to put in extra work and seal both surfaces of the foam dam with some liquid electrical tape to the top and the bottom with some kneaded eraser stuffed inside the socket. ;) ) The temperature difference in case of GPU with LM as compared to Kryonaut was around 1.5 degrees which is not worth it. And with Phobya Nanogrease Extreme, I'm getting roughly the same temps as the LM, so you can choose what you want. Being a person who frequently opens/mods his machine, I don't find it useful to take the hassle to install it with LM because it is practically useless in this particular case. And if it dies because of LM, chances are that you'll blow your warranty completely because Dell is being more vigilant in testing for liquid metal on warranty claimed machines these days (based on what I've heard from support guys).

You can run LAN on windows and when you enter linux, you can continue connectivity via wi-fi because both Intel 9260ngw and 9560ngw are recognized and drivers are also available by default. (Both Intel ax200 and ax201 still lack driver support). And yes, my main boot loader is grub which sits on top of the Windows installation and I can choose which OS to run without any problem. I have a triple boot setup right now (installed another linux variant besides ubuntu mate for work purpose) and there is no problem what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
    Panda7 likes this.
  8. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    5.1GHz is not possible even on water cooled desktop machines without hitting the 90s so that's a bit of a stretch. Or, you need to spend a ton and get a silicon binned chip. For a machine of this form factor, even 4.9 on all cores is iffy and you WILL hit the 95+ mark! Not worth it in my opinion. 4.8Ghz as a daily driver is the most balanced setting imho.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

S.K likes this.
  9. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sure?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "Or, you need to spend a ton and get a silicon binned chip." like you did, like he said.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    VoodooChild likes this.