*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That 180 brick gets hot man and the other one is normal temp. I hope the 180 doesn’t burn out.

2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use two 330W ones if you want normal temps... 180W gets extremely hot I know, but in case it craps out, Dell will replace it for you it you're still under warranty. So, get the longest warranty you can afford and breathe easy. Just enjoy your laptop.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    have not read about dying 2080s and mobos since end of may.

4. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Based on my post #13926, try plug the bigger adapter 330W into the right hand side port (the side when you were looking at the front of the laptop, or simply the port closest to the AGA port). I'm using both 330W adapters and the adapter stick with that port is hotter than the other. Please try this and let me know.

5. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It was all on 1.5.6 (booted twice on 1.5.0 so can't tell if there is an improvement on that BIOS version).

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    After you upgrade your BIOS version, for the first boot, it does take a long time and even during subsequent boots when you open BIOS and then quit it to continue booting. But during normal operation. the boot speed should be quite fast. And, it also depends upon how quickly your boot drive responds to the BIOS's query and starts loading the OS. I have my OS loaded on a Samsung 970 Pro inserted in NVMe slot 1 and I am using grub as my main boot loader. It boots almost instantly every time even with additional hardware (some extra monitors) and thunderbolt multi-adapter cable plugged in that is connected to an external keyboard and a mouse + powering a couple of external hard drives..

7. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh okay, I'll check what's Grub, I didn't know about this !
    I just booted real quick now, but I think Windows loaded less programs because my Alienware Command Center does not contain HOME, FX and FUSION anymore (at least for the first 45 seconds).
    Concerning the BIOS load time, I managed to fix it by disabling the boot options 1 and 2 (they were IPV4 and IPV6 something)

Oh, and... from today my 'H' key get stuck in the Keyboard when I press it :DDDD WTF is that...

8. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why run Linux in Hyper V? Because you can let Hyper V cover your connections to low level stuff like ethernet and wifi, control your lights and still pop into and out of the Hyper V box for Linux when you want to get some work done. :) Not that I don't understand the wish to "go native". I just need things up and running fast and don't have lots of excess time. I didn't mean to dilute the experience.

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It's not worth it tbh, because except for ethernet, you have everything (at least what I want). HV's have their own overhead though because that's just one additional layer under the main OS. You won't get the same performance as you'd get otherwise when running linux directly. And, RGB is really a petty thing (for me) which you can set from Windows and then quickly boot back into linux via a dual boot setup. The ethernet card is also recognized and picked up and we can add it up easily as soon as the driver comes out so there is not much to worry. ;)

Panda7 likes this.
  10. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My second unit, ordered the july 10th was planned to be shipped on the 18th, but the order is still in process. No more informations at this time.
    Do you guys know if there is a part shortage?
    On the Dell online shop my setup is still 5 to 7 day delay before shipping.