*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From my testing of both firmware, I found out that the 180W VBIOS reaches the power limit quite early especially if you undervolt the GPU but tends to run a lot cooler in-game. 200W has a much better headroom in terms of power limit throttling but is a few degrees warmer. Both will give you similar performance though, 200W is much easier to undervolt.

I'm using the 1.5.0 BIOS and 200W as my daily driver.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Spartan and Diziet like this.
  2. Diziet

Diziet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! What do you use to undervolt the GPU and by how much?

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I got my white one in. Not a fan personally. Stupid they won’t “exchange” for a black one. Return and re-order..

VoodooChild, FXi, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just IMO, but custom OS images and custom drivers are a bad idea rooted in 2 decade old approaches to products. The world of security moves way too fast to stay stuck in something like that. And recovery, should you ever need it, practically requires "standardized" products and drivers. The 51m is a very special beast, but Dell needs to step away from the customized software (not all the way, their apps can happily run on standardized underpinnings). Lenovo has a history of this kind of behavior as well. A few years down the road when the software has all matured, this becomes a boat anchor, a very, very expensive boat anchor.

S.K likes this.
  5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you considered running Linux in Hyper-V? This is a supported scenario, albeit at command line, but you could then go with the distro of choice from there. Sadly I've wanted to experiment in this area but I'm implementing so many things right now that I don't have the bandwidth to explore.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey is it normal for one power brick to get hot and not the other? Does it matter where they are plugged in? I’m a little green on updating vbios. The bios seems to update via Alienware update but how do I update the vbios?

7. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    GPU:
    Using Afterburner:
    1980Mhz at .935V ;
    Max temp: ~80C in Metro Exodus and Division 2; there are the best games to test your GPU... one/two hours gaming is what you should try... benchmarks can be quite misleading in terms of system stability and temperature thresholds...

CPU:
    Using Throttlestop:
    4.8Ghz on all cores @ -111.0 mV undervolt on both Cache and Core.
    Max temp: ~80C in Far Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed Origins for two hours....

All temps on stock clocks only.

Hope this helps mate.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Diziet and Spartan like this.
  8. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    That's because its warmer. If you calibrate the AUO to 6000k like this EYESAFE screen is, the whitepoint on the AUO will go as bright bright as the Chi Mei/innlux.
    Likewise, If you calibrate the Chi Mei to 6500 - 7500 White point like the AUO is stock, it will go down to a similar brightness as the AUO.
    TL DR. While it may be ever so slightly brighter; when calibrated to the same white point, they are extremely close. This is because the Chi Mei is hardcoded at a warmer color temp.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    It normal for the 180W brick to go hot. Happens to all of us.

vBIOS update is just click the .exe and follow the CMD screen really... just close any overclocking software like Afterburner and TS in the background before you begin... it's super easy actually.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Its definitely warmer than my old panel, that's for sure. I don't have any calibration tool sadly so I'll leave it at default for now. I have the option of switching my old AUO panel at the moment but I'm too lazy to do so. Also, my stock temps are fantastic to don't want to open up the laptop so soon.... yet....

I cannot seem to install ICC color profiles on Windows 10 anymore, was working fine on my M17XR3 before which was also on Windows 10... didn't work on my AUO panel either.. or may be I'm doing it wrong...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    Spartan likes this.
  10. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That’s great man! But like I said, it was a gamble! Could’ve gone either way like others that have reported here their laptop dying because LM spilled/something else...

you can remove the panel without taking the heat sink off. It’s literally just back panel, tron, rib cage, and panel can come off with a few screws.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    VoodooChild likes this.