*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm 100% sure. There was LM on my processor and I saw it fly out of the "foam dam"... I will not flame any business on a public forum for no reason, that is neither my character nor my agenda.

I would encourage everyone here to deal with guys like Donald from Hidevolution because he truly is a gem! But... I would never suggest their thermal upgrades based on my own personal experience.

My stock Area51m runs 5-7C cooler at stock than the Hidevolution model I received. Says a lot really...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

And to be honest, it's no big deal at all. I have rarely used it and I find it pointless (unless I'm missing something?)
    I really don't see the difference in "smoothness" like people claim... or may be I'm getting old...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
    S.K and Ultra Male like this.
  2. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The smoothness is there my friend. Take a high end gpu and let it mate with a 144hz screen. That’s how magic babies are formed.

Man I didn’t even notice that. 60hz is such a waste. Hope you get it corrected.

Thanks friend. I cant believe they even offer a garbage 60hz screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fact of the matter is:

Dell has quality control and machine assisted application of thermal paste/pads and heatsinks, whereas HIDEvolution is just a bunch of dudes tearing other people's systems apart, applying “thermal upgrades” in a half-assed, careless manner.

The ONLY way to see thermal upgrade benefits is to do it right, carefully. Unless you do it or have a friend or trusted person that can do that and is very detail and quality oriented, you won’t see better results.

Third party thermal upgrades most likely will result in one of several things:

- poorly executed = higher or same temps, and you lost your money that you could have used to buy what you need and do it yourself.
    - risk of something being damaged = done by someone that doesn’t really care, it’s not their system.
    - risk of something not being applied correctly = your laptop dies because of spilled liquid metal, poorly applied thermal upgrades that burn memory, voltage regulators, or something else.

In my opinion, and I think it’s actually fact, thermal upgrades by any company are always not worth your money or the risk associated with the “custom builder” putting your pristine laptop back together as well as it came from factory.

I have a friend that ordered an ASUS laptop like this before (with “upgrades”) and he had ALL sorts of trouble. RAM was ****/untested and had errors out of the box, touchpad was left disconnected, screen flexes and WiFi antenas were pinched and partially severed due to being routed incorrectly at the hinge. Just a friggin’ nightmare.

These “custom shops” are just that; CUSTOM. I can personally tell you that they don’t read up on the manuals and get certified like (for example) Dell technicians. Even then, Dell technicians usually show up to your house and have NEVER seen or worked on your cutting-edge, top of the line, $4000 laptop because they are fairly uncommon. This is enthusiast land. Not mainstream.

NO ONE should EVER buy upgrades or have ANY custom builder tear your system apart aside from installing ram and or disks. Everything else (CPU/GPU/thermal pads/paste/paint jobs) is super high risk and a total gamble.

S.K and VoodooChild like this.
  4. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I guess I got lucky and don’t need the repaste. I haven’t seen my temps get beyond 75c on either the cpu or gpu. I have a 9700k/2070. All my other alienwares were getting to 100c and then throttle down.

S.K likes this.
  5. diaz06

diaz06 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot ! And there are recommended settings for voltage and others ? Thanks

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Then the tech haven't followed HID's Guidelines for the laptops with socket hardware. Maybe a new person have put up your machine (Being good is the same as you learn from your fault). But this isn't the same as say HID usually do a bad job. If they did I would have seen it several times and long time ago (and I follow the most:)). + I know Donald and HID normally do a very good job on their products. Time after time.

jclausius and nkc like this.
  7. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So u mean point blank that HID used LM on ur processor directly on top of IHS making contact with Heatsinks that’s aluminium ?

Also I remember u opened the system to change the thermal pads way before the system died , which means u would have seen the LM on the processor since the heatsink had to go off, so did U reapply LM and cover it back or u cleaned the LM applied that’s corrosive to the aluminium and not in the options on HID config and put a normal paste ?

Cos truly if I saw LM applied on my processor that’s making contact with aluminium heatsink , then I won’t be coupling that system back without pictoral evidence and onward attack and onslaught towards the vendor, LM on heatsink is instant death

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Nope, I also don't feel the difference between G-Sync or Off. But it never gave me the wow factor that I anticipated after seeing its demos and ads. If it's there as an option, well and good, if it isn't, I wouldn't miss it one bit. Just my 2 cents.

etern4l, S.K, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  9. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Fire Tiger, S.K and Ultra Male like this.
  10. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t recommend changing anything with the thermals just yet until you test it. My stock thermals have been great.

Vanya and lostclusters like this.