*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why does the much "lesser" AW17R5 come with two side exhausts and this new design does not? Considering they 've been having so many heat issues, it just does not make sense.

2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I first saw OLED on the Samsung 10" tablet and some Samsung phones, called AMEOLED or something, truly marvellous. Then I got the LG 54" OLED TV, it has to be seen to be believed. So I believe you that an OLED screen on a laptop would be the absolute best. I am looking forward for a 4K, 120Hz panel with brightness and colours as good or better as the AUO 4K or the OLED panels. I hope I will not have to wait too long :)

ssj92 likes this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All models since the AW15R3/17R4 have side vents.

c69k likes this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right, so why drop the side vents on this new design? How can it harm having better thermals?

c69k likes this.
  5. Siepacz

Siepacz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome! Congrats.
    My ETA is on 19th so I will be looking after Your review :)

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They didnt drop it on the new models? just no extra heatsinks on the lower end models. But the main "Design flaw" would be on the AW15r3/r4/17r4/r5 is that the base is slightly angled and the feet arent very high, especially if the bottom plate is slightly bowing outwards, it starts to recycle its own hot air on some surfaces. That is why raising the back does so much for the temperatures on these models. Extra airflow from the side is always beneficial in such cases and all models since then have side vents for at least airflow. Only for the previous gen that wasnt always enough. I am actually trying to source some higher laptop feet that fit these slots. 2 to 3mm higher feet already do a lot for our models.

Darkhan and Siepacz like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So I had emailed another rep and they say my order can not be completed do to part shortages. So I have to call tomorrow to find out what it is. Depending on the part I may try telling them to send it as is and I'll just buy the missing parts. So long as it's memory or ssd related. Depending how this goes I'm very likely gonna cancel and call up hidevolution tomorrow.

hmscott and Latostno like this.
  8. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Terreos, such big company with part shortages but still accepted orders and even promised delivery date without abilities to fulfilled. I feel so sorry you're facing the hassle. But, really, it always happens this way whenever I order technology stuff. Maybe we got cursed.

Also, talking about RAM clock speed, I'm curious about why 2400 now and 2666 later with a BIOS update coming soon? Sounds weird. And, why not 3200? Are they lost any benefit if they allow that? The way they layout the RAM slots is an issue in my eyes too, they may stack up a lot of heat.

Sent from my MIX 3 using Tapatalk

c69k, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I must be cursed my friend. I really must be. Don't worry I'll get my hands on a new toy one way or another. But it's clear I need someone like Hidevolution to step in and take my money since these india customer support agents are useless.

And I don't know why they don't support 2666 out of the box. Their other systems support it. Just the nature of the beast?

Latostno, raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    More like a firmware misconfiguration error. There are alot of settings that go with setting up memory for a laptop. Including the top speed. And it sure ain't 2400 Mhz. It's something like 4133Mhz. As to the system running that...I don't think so. At least not yet. The P870TM1 as been as high as 3700 Mhz. And a guy in the MSI thread has gotten to 3467 or 3600 now.

And yes, My P570WM3 was running 2400 Mhz, but I think the very first user was Residualvoltage, so that would make me second in that respect.. That guy was a genius with the ram.

jclausius, ssj92, Rei Fukai and 4 others like this.