*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had so much problems with Dell in Vietnam, I gave up trying to get support, and used Dell Thailand instead.

I did this - I bought from Ebay (whilst on business in China), they claimed it was OEM, ended up throwing it away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
    hmscott, phusy and S.K like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I have found that Alienware tech twitter support is quite efficient and they take care of matters faster than even the local support guys can do. From now onwards I'll only be going that route when needing support. What took the local Singapore support guys almost 10 days to work out, the twitter guys sorted it out in 3 days and my part dispatch was arranged as well, no hassle at all. That is quite convenient as compared to e-mail ping-pong with local support guys that in itself takes several days.

hmscott and phusy like this.
  3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Any lunar light users having the discoloration aside from SK?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Discoloration is a real thing on this machine because my replacement chassis also started showing the same problems as previous one. If you are considering Lunar Light model, palm rests or an external keyboard are the way to go. I have to say though that besides the palm rest, the remaining machine has not shown any discoloration so far and I am fine with a couple of custom cut-out palm rests that I cut from a vinyl sheet. There are skins available for this machine as well that you can buy from Ebay or AliExpress which fit perfectly, but you have to apply them yourself which takes quite a lot of precision and dust free environment.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Are these still blowing up GPUs or is it finally sorted?

GreatD likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I wonder how much Dell will save when going for LITE-ON Technology instead for the much more reputable brand Delta for the biggest power adapter. And is there a reason most people get the Delta 330w if they buy a spare adapter from Dell? Does Dell use 330w adapters from Flextronik? Or only the smaller 180/240w adapters?
    Well known problem.. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1010#post-10906787

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I guess premiere support and accidental damage would cover this, lol. Found https://mightyskins.com/collections/alienware-area-51m-17-2019 has some skins as well. Hm.. I ordered another 51m and somehow accidentally ordered the white. I might let it come in and play with it and see if i like it or send it back and get black.

S.K likes this.
  8. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    IIRC, Flextronics brand is for 180 and 240w adapter. And all of my friends are recommended Delta adapter instead of Flextronics. In the past, I encountered a stupid problem on my Precision
    M6800 pairing with Flextronics adapter. After 6 months of normal usage, whenever full-load, my laptop suddenly disconnected with the adapter. First, Dell tried to replace my mobo + GPU but it doesn't worked. Then I bought a brand new Delta adapter and this problem is gone for good. I have no idea what kind of business from Dell when cutting down many things e.g no side-vent (and less heatpipes) for 2060 version, low quality mosfets for gpu and mobo, using less reputation brand for adapter... in high-end machine like A51m. Saved every single penny from beginning and spent a lot at the end to fix. Well done Dell.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried (I know it sounds silly) deleting the connection to your router? Reboot and then relink to the router (means entering the pw again). Sometimes those remembered definitions can become broken after an update and this can clear stubborn issues.

hmscott likes this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Accidental coverage does not not cover anything cosmetic....