*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Totally with you on that.

carlodelmazo, Cass-Olé and Terreos like this.
  2. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, hello everybody, new user here, I just order from dell, tried to bargain but looks like I cannot get more than what I can get with my student discount (10%), I really appreciate all the information in the topic because made me think what to do and how to pick my setup somehow.

Location London, uk

i7 9700k
    8gb ram
    256gb disk
    Win pro, 7£
    Black (apparently now they charge for the white version 30£ So I went for black)
    1080 60hz panel (the cheapest one)
    Neoprene 17inch sleeve.
    Accidental damage 20£

Total 2368£ (Student discount)

Reason I didn’t go for the higher spec in the screen is because I don’t play games, but I want the machine for mostly work, my stuff involves cad, virtualisation, coding, rendering, ROS, deep learning, etc (software I use usually is Keyshot, Inventor, Unity3D, Robotstudio, AutoCAD, solid works, VMware, rhinoceros 3D and grasshopper, 3Dsmax, and all the adobe suit from photoshop, lightroom to after effects, premier, illustrator, etc)

Most of the stuff using those programs I make them run under the oculus rift so I can work in VR, so I’m not a user much of screens anymore as many programs I listed lately have VR support, so I think I would not benefit for a higher spec screen.

My plan it’s to upgrade later with some Corsair vengeance 32gb ddr4 c16 and a 1tb 960evo from Amazon, do you think my picks are right?

But, my only doubt would be if I pick right 9700k, because the 9900k it’s just a little bit more expensive but I don’t like that would be more hotter and probabbly I will have to turn off hypertreading for some software I use anyways.

3. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I and maybe others would like the memory inspected for its part# / label info so it can be checked on for whether it is 2400 or 2666 (running at 2400)
    [​IMG]

According to Dell.com Press Release, it isn't considered the world's most powerful unless it's running @2666 (lol)

[​IMG]
    @14min into Jan. 25 Press conference above we're told memory overclocking can happen in CmndCntr (photo); not much sense to OC the memory (or have such an app) if it ships with 2400 rated dimms that can't clock any higher (unless that's a small OC applied over a 2133 base). If yours, Ninja, are rated @2666 it'd be a healthy sign that 2666 will happen later w/firmware update which I do expect to come of course, & when it does, uh, u kinda want 2666 memory in it already waiting, courtesy of them I'd like to think

I hope they're shipping binned 2666s temporarily running @2400 for now, as opposed to not just shipping binned 2400 dims but also selling them (@ those prices), if faster stuff will work later of course. It'd suck if they've forced everyone (or as many as they can cash-in on) to buy slow overpriced memory upfront. I'd be in for the included 8Gb & upgrade meself later to better rated stix for less ... ... ... ty Ninja if u can produce the memory kit info ;)

edit:
    9700k / 2080 / 8gb ... good man ... 9900k can come later, be on the lookout for the so-called 8heatpipe heatsink w/side exhausts for 9900k (I call it a 7XL+ = 6pipes + 1 extra-long pipe + side exhaust); yours will either get the 7XL+ due to the 2080 or you'll buy it later from Dell etc (if the 7 or 7XL which yours would get aren't enuff for the top chip, whenever that's installed --> 7 / 7XL don't appear to get side exhaust)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Vasudev, Papusan and carlodelmazo like this.
  4. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have 32gb of Corsair Vengeance @ 2666 sitting in a box waiting to be smashed into this thing the day it arrives (between Feb 21-26), so hopefully we do get the speed bump!

5. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, indeed, what they are doing with the heatsink it’s a cheap trick, who knows what’s the lottery bringing, when you call the sales say it’s the same for everything, but I’m sure they are wrong.

That’s good idea actually will do the same, start ordering the ram, and will follow as yours 2666 so anyway at the beggining will be capped to 2400 I guess but then later updated by firmware I really think.

6. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course. I also have 2x 8gb 2666 chips I want to test.

I will also photo heat sink included with my 9700/2070 combo.

I also plan to test what happens if I run with just 180w psu, 240w psu and I am currently trying to source a 330w psu (typically gave mine away to a customer not so long ago!).

As requested I will do game and benchmark tests on both the internal screen and my 1440p 144hz screen

Vasudev, Cass-Olé and carlodelmazo like this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'm just so curious what possible engineering issue came up that forced them to run 2400mhz until a newer firmware update comes along.

It's a desktop chipset. I understand laptops have struggled with 3000Mhz+ modules in the past (my P870DM3 worked fine with 3000Mhz) but 2400Mhz is quite low.

Even the M18xR2 running 2133Mhz could run 2400Mhz DDR3 that was overclocked using Taiphoon Burner @Johnksss @Mr. Fox :D

8. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully it is something dell will fix in a bios update.
    Does seem strange to me too as every other machine they sell (laptop and desktop) has at least 2666 support. I wondered if it was the 4 dimm slots?

Vasudev likes this.
  9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, you will spend thousands on a last century's screen technology especially when you do CAD and rendering? Have you ever seen the 17", UHD AUO panel that comes with the AW 17? Seriously the brightness, the colours, the screen clarity on everything from reading text to photos to games.

First the brightness, this thing is so bright I have mine set at 70% in a very well lit room. I have not seen another panel like it. Well my wife just walked in with her MacBook Pro 13" and yet it also has a very good screen. And so has the XPS 15" UHD. But man, those FHD panels are just horrible. We were using those panels back 15 years ago...

Then the colours, when I saw those reds I did not think that colour even existed, then I came to my senses. You have to see it to believe it. All the colours on my screen take another dimension. I have been playing a game for decades (WoW) and when I played first on this panel I thought it was another game, I had never seen or imagined those colours. You just play to look at the colours nevermind the game.

Then there is the 4K clarity on everything you use it for, reading text on forums or emails, or documents, working with CAD, electronic diagrams on screen or mechanics or structural engineering, everything is crystal clear and then you look at FHD and the difference is so noticeable.

The drawback? It is 60Hz and the GTX 1080 can just about cope, and with some games you do not even get 60Hz. However unless you are an FPS player you do not care, and even then.

This is the reason I would not even consider the AW 51m right now, not until it ships with a UHD panel of equal quality to the AUO. And of course the laptop is version 1.0 of a Dell design. Good luck with that. Just to give you an example, the heatsink on my AW17R5 is on revision three. Three revisions on the heatsink and the laptop is not even a year's old (ordered last June, arrived with revision 1 or 2). And you want to buy version 1.0 of a brand new design which departs from the "standard", way, way more than the AW17R5 did from the AW17R4? Madness...

bennyg and propeldragon like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I had that panel in my original Clevo P870DM and I agree it's very good. However, if you've seen a AW 13 R3 OLED panel, it's another jump just as much as that 4K UHD was. ;)

propeldragon likes this.