*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Crimsonite81

Crimsonite81 Newbie

Reputations:
    I helped a mate with this one last night. I don't have the laptop in front of me, so I can't screenshot it now, but if anyone wants to try this and take better notes than I did, feel free!

--- Usual advisory - follow this at your own risk! Especially since this was a one-off and I'm working purely from memory here. Maybe create a system restore point before trying this, just in case. ---

Uninstall the Intel XTU application. This should complete as you would expect, except that reading the failed log files from attempting to install the latest version of AOC, it apparently hasn't cleaned up properly. It still seems to detect installed components and fails to uninstall them.
    Clean up the XTU devices. Open Device Manager and select "Show hidden devices" from the View menu. Expand the categories until you find a group of devices with names that contain "Intel XTU". They should be greyed out. Right click each one and click "Uninstall". The first time you do, you'll get a tick-box option to "Delete the driver software for this device." - tick that box too. We'll be reinstalling the driver with the new version of AOC.
    Reboot and reinstall AOC. The AOC installer didn't find any remnants of the old install this time and it completed successfully. The overclocking controls in the Control Center reappeared and worked correctly.

Hope this helps someone! Good luck.

Lopt, Spartan, c69k and 4 others like this.
  2. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This was the solution!!!

Thank you very much kind sir! I had looked for “XTU” devices but hadn’t used the show hidden devices option and missed removing like 9 out of 10 hahaha!

Much obliged!

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    cope123abc and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    when was the last dead 2080? Is there even 1 dead 2080 that was built after 06/2019?

BTW i made a comparison between slient profile with eco settings and performance profile with OC.

DIvision 2 Benchmark:

silent fan profile:
    GPU @ 1600mhz @74 degree
    CPU @ 4500Mhz

Average 114FPS

performance fan profile
    GPU @ ~2000mhz @80 degree
    CPU @ 5000Mhz

Average 138FPS

There is a see- and feelable difference between them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Wilhelm_SI, c69k and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That's something that I cannot state because I never measure the quantity of thermal pads that I buy. I always buy mine in thick stacks. A general rule of thumb should be to buy *more* than you think you'd need. You can't go wrong with that. On the other hand, if you try and buy the *exact* dimensions of the thermal pad sheet that you think you might be using, you might end up cutting one of them wrongly and then you'll either have to put on a messed up pad which will ruin the entire build, or you'll run short and will not be able to put your machine back together at all. Having said this, I'll add my bare minimum recommendations on the post which may be a little too much for many but trust me, it'll be worth it in the long run. ;)

So I tried the superposition benchmark at 1080P Extreme settings and it seems that our mighty RTX 2080 is already getting obsolete since I'm getting 51 FPS on average. :D Here are my results (Core: 1950 MHz, Memory: 7500 MHz)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    lostclusters likes this.
  6. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, almost old news now, but it would be nice to hear what he plans on doing at AMD, I hope he pushes AMD into mid and high end laptops, still doing the low end but take on Intel directly at the high end. It may be Ryzen 3 before that happens, but that's not a long time away.

"Azor’s precise duties at AMD were not revealed, but his close work over the years with both Radeon and Nvidia hardware should leave his well-qualified for anything they throw at him. Judging from his title, he will at least be creatively involved with AMD's Radeon cards for PCs. He may also be tapped for input on semi-custom GPUs for gaming consoles or other projects."

Although he could certainly do those things, I think he's got too much laptop in him to give it up now, and his laptop expertise and industry contacts to get AMD a shot at many laptop vendors is what would make him most valuable to AMD, IMHO.

9. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my opinion, if the price difference is very small between 2400 and 2666 (like less than $15-$20 difference), I’d just go for 2666 in hopes we can use it one day.

Heck, that’s what I did! Haha. Got 2666 Ballistix 32 GB to replace the 8 GB from factory (how I bought my 51m).

Spartan, Vanya and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys I think windows update 1903 is causing me WiFi drops. I did the dell recovery but for some reason it still shows the 1903 version. Also I keep hearing about this unblock thing. Are my drivers that I’m downloading need to be “unblocked”?