*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol. Of course doing a clean install would result in being in 1903 and so I would be “updated”. I don’t want to nuke the damn thing, what a silly suggestion!

I want to update like Microsoft intended it. Windows Update > click update > be updated.

Some folks here reported updating. Has anyone updated via Windows Update successfully?

Thanks!

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've updated, it works just fine but I had all my drivers updated beforehand.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for trying to help, I didn't know what level of understanding you had on the process, so thought it would be helpful to add in that the clean install would wipe everything.

If updating isn't working then clean install was a workaround.

4. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Download the official Win 10 ISO and create a bootable USB stick with Rufus. Then you can upgrade straight through Windows with it. If you chose the exact same version you have you should be able to upgrade without loosing any files or settings.

5. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah me too, my 2x8 GB Area-51m arrives on Thursday, let me know what your results are so I decide whether I buy another 2x8 GB or straight 2x16 GB to get a final 32 GB of RAM.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

6. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My wife and I had no issue updating.

Have you tried running the windows update troubleshooter?

As someone else suggested, a clean install of 1903 may save you a ton of time and headache.

Theres so many different variables and issues that could be going on that are causing it to not update.

Virale and FXi like this.
  7. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apologies if I sounded brash. I appreciate the ideas and help. I want to update before I try a clean install.

If all else fails, I’ll do a clean install!

VoodooChild and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys, if I can get 32 GB of DDR4 at 2666 MHz for cheap price, is this worth it to take them for the Aera 51-m even though they will run at 2400 MHz "for now" ?

10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not ask this in an unkind way because I don't know how many folks are experts around here, but did you at least give a shot on the "troubleshoot problems" right click on the wifi? There are a lot of common network stack issues that get corrected automatically now and it's not harmful and just takes a few minutes to see if you get a fix to your disconnects.

I wouldn't force the update, unless you have some strong need to do so. When MS finds a problem for a given hardware population they sometimes block a machine until it gets resolved. Maybe try back in a week or 2 and see if it doesn't let you update then. It is probably "checking" each time you boot so eventually the update will come to you.

I feel stupid for forgetting to mention that. Yes definitely give that a go first!

Dell should add a "submit feedback" in the AWCC, so bugs can be known and maybe addressed, and other aspects of the system could be also submitted. I'm sure there would be unpleasant feedback in the mix, so many of the ideas I see here are things they could work on even in future revisions and make better products in the bargain. But we end up resorting to contacts we know because we lack a coordinated product feedback. Sorry probably an idle thought of the day, but had to say it out loud.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    Virale likes this.