*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But its boring af to cripple the system this way :p

nkc likes this.
  2. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not for me, I even do it on desktops. :D
    (2080 Ti @0,85v)

GPU`s make me too much unpleasant noise under high voltages.

As soon as available, I prefer to buy a stronger gpu. :D

edit: also: you do not cripple the system with 0,825v / 1770 MHz or 0,85v / 1830 MHz, you do not have much less power than with stock-settings (when the GPU is warm).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    FXi and hmscott like this.
  3. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Who use LM for gpu?
    And how many degrades drop down?
    Thanks!

4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, this is exactly why I'm keeping it... I'll have two very fast m2 drivers for exact reasons you mentioned. Not worth selling it below $40...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

S.K and Vasudev like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I have both laptops right now.

Operating with the lid down shouldn't cause issues but I would recommend leaving it open just a bit. There is a small intake area it seems like right on top of the power button area.

1TB RAID0 (SSD) should be boot & 1TB for more storage. Personally I would buy with base 1TB drive then add a Samsung 2TB Evo Plus drive.

2070 is plenty powerful, 2080 will keep you going for years.

CPU does have a iGPU but it can only be used for external displays on USB-C connector.

2 hours battery should be possible

Alternatives are MSI GT76 or Clevo P870TM-R. I'd get the one that suits your overall needs. If you like the M18xR2, you'll like the Area-51m. You probably won't like the Clevo as much in terms of design and build, same with MSI, but performance wise, they're all similar.

lostclusters, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It might sound a little racist: Usually when we as Indians try to sell some electronics we always get lowest price eventhough it looks like new and performance better, so I usually don't sell anything and usually 99% of the time re-purpose it because the selling value of any electronics is barely any better than rust. But, when I try to buy used electronics prices are almost huge when you can get newer product or certified refurbs (with warranty) by paying a little extra Rs. 2-5000.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
  8. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I uninstalled AWCC and the Realtek sound drivers with Revo Uninstaller to get back back audio control in AWCC. Now I don't seem to have any sound at all. What gives?

EDIT: I tried uninstalled right about everything I can. No sound. Next up is the friggin' sledgehammer... :-(

EDIT: Somehow the sound is back, but now the GPU is gone and the system cannot find it. Lovely.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Dagr

Dagr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep, I have both... it's the Relaltek audio control that doesn't have any content when you run it (none of the audio controls are present).

Also just noticed my track pad is no longer turning off... even though the lighting still stays off... grr. I'm sure that one is an easier fix somewhere though.

ACK! Sorry man... having sound driver issues as well, but it hasn't spilled over to the gpu.. : / (Though I still am having issues updating AWCC as well... had to roll back to a previous version to get FX & sound working).

UPDATE: Tried again, got AWCC to install... looked good, FX was working, then it asked me to update the OC... that failed and said I needed to uninstall OC first... did that, reinstalled OC, and now AWCC hangs with a busy spinner image & it says no FX device detected (again). Sigh. Created a restore point before I tried this at least... but this is stupid.

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Through a whole dance on DDU forth and back, I got everything up and running again. Argh! Buggy software.

FXi and Vasudev like this.