*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Also make sure you have these installed:
    Alienware Sound Center
    Realtek Audio Control

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    FXi, Fire Tiger and Darkhan like this.
  2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I remember tomorrow, or if you can remind me, I can go through my drivers and see what I have compared to yours, as I'm pretty certain my realtek audio panel and the AWCC one are both working.

Everything on my 51m is up to date though, including 1903.

FXi and Dagr like this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I've found that the 4 components on top side is the CPU need 2mm (at least 2 of them) otherwise they don't make good contact. I found that Panasonic pads that I use (2mm) are so squishy that I can easily use them all around the CPU since they compress ridiculously well without breaking. This has made my life so much easier with the repads that I keep doing every now and then as I'm modding a heat sink for my machine these days.

Here are all the links that you need combined in one post.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1307#post-10924973

They don't have any adhesive. They just have regular 2 sided contact like most thermal pads do. And they're working phenomenally well. And like @DeeX mentioned, I've been reusing some of these for months now. I cut a plastic wrap sheet or a glossy magazine paper and cover the pads with it as soon as I pull the heat sink off to keep any dust away and when I'm done, it's easy to lift off the protective coating and reinstall the heat sink. I've not seen any better pads than these so far, and I've seen quite a lot of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
    FXi, c69k, Falkentyne and 1 other person like this.
  4. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey all!
    I am getting ready to replace my m18xr2 and I am considering the area 51m with the following configuration:

i7-9700K
    Windows 10 Pro
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070
    16GB, 2x8GB
    1TB RAID0 (2x 512GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid
    Dark side 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz, IPS, NVIDIA G-SYNC

I do not game so extreme performance is not necessary. A great looking display and as much storage as I can get are definite pluses. I also like to connect to other displays and TVs. I started to read through this thread but that may take a while with 1379 pages, currently. Some concerns I have are:

Will operating it with the lid down cause cooling issues?
    With my storage choice which should be the boot drive, and is there a better option for more storage?
    Should I consider the 2080 gpu?
    Does the cpu have a gpu in it?
    How long can I expect the battery to last?
    Is there a better machine for the money?

I am sort of behind the times technology wise so I would appreciate any pointers and advise anyone might have to offer. And a big hello to @Mr. Fox

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First off, don't get the RAID setup, the SSDs are not worth buying from Dell. You can easily get a very fast 1TB nvme SSD under $100 now. Same with the RAM, get the cheapest configuration for both these hardware.

I've been trying to sell my Dell provided 2 × 256Gbs of SSD and 2 × 8Gb RAMs but no one is buying it now... the prices for these components are at an all time low. I am having a hard time selling my 9700k and a 2080 for that matter although I haven't listed it on this forum yet.

Will operating it with the lid down cause cooling issues?
    Not for me, it runs flawlessly and like it should..

With my storage choice which should be the boot drive, and is there a better option for more storage?
    Get the cheapest drive possible and upgrade on your own. You'll save $300+...

Should I consider the 2080 gpu?
    If you have the budget, definitely, it's a 200W variant, kinda rare breed really and absolutely powerful. This will last you for ages.

Does the cpu have a gpu in it?
    Yes but its disabled. It seems to be in use only when an external display is connected through the Thunderbolt 3 port.

How long can I expect the battery to last?
    2 and half hours on average.

Is there a better machine for the money?
    For a thread called "Owner's lounge", the more common answer is no. The new MSI GT76 looks good but with its soldered motherboard and HOT 9900K combo, I would stay far away from it.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

S.K, Vasudev and lostclusters like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why not repurpose the M.2 SSD using Transcend M.2 enclosure with USB-C port/usb A 3.1 port to make it bigger USB drive with multiple OS.

Mr. Fox and lostclusters like this.
  7. Alex4seby

Alex4seby Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Buy with dual drives because you will need the heatsink for better cool nvme

lostclusters likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You can buy the nvme heatsinks separately. I bought mine from HIDevolution for 15 bucks a piece.

lostclusters and FXi like this.
  9. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In a similar way, I play all my games. :)
    (24/7 setup)

- 0,825v UV @ 1770 MHz (and +500 memory) @2080
    (maybe I can use 0,85v with 1830 MHz with a repasting (currently still delivery state)
    - silent fan profile (maximum 2500 CPU / 2300 RPM GPU :))
    - 4,5 GHz @9900k -100mv UV
    - jacked up (one centimeter more)

Conclusion:
    - not much slower than stock-settings (gaming)
    - but much much quieter
    - under 80, but sometimes 76-79 degrees (with permanent heavy load in Division 2 - very stressful for the gpu). In the most cases / games 65-75 degrees

lostclusters, FXi and hmscott like this.
  10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations: